Mt Jefferson Whitewater glacier access?

Sanchez

Has anyone been down to the Jefferson area lately? I called Detroit RS and she said the roads are open but snow covered at various points, at-your-own-risk-type of thing.

I was wondering how the roads to either Whitewater (#2243) or Pamela lake (#2246) are looking.

And hey if you've climbed from either of those acess points any beta is appreciated.

Jefferson newby here.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was down at Pamelia Lake area on Saturday (4/24). The road is snow free to the trailhead. No snow on the trail until about halfway to the lake. Continuous and deep snow started around 4500ft (PCT level). I didn't get very high up since the weather was not cooperating. I did get a glimpse of the mountain top:

4554335423_c9034b565c_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I went up to Jefferson on Saturday (5/15) via the Woodpecker Ridge Trail. The road is blocked by snow about 1 mile from the trail head.

Trail is covered with snow until you get to the ridge and then it's patchy snow until the PCT. After that it's good coverage, but the snow is unconsolidated slushy mank. Slurpee-like.

• 2 weeks later...
I went up to Jefferson on Saturday (5/15) via the Woodpecker Ridge Trail. The road is blocked by snow about 1 mile from the trail head.

Trail is covered with snow until you get to the ridge and then it's patchy snow until the PCT. After that it's good coverage, but the snow is unconsolidated slushy mank. Slurpee-like.

What were snow conditions like higher up on the mountain? slushy as well?

Was the summit covered in rime ice?

I didn't get very high up, but it was mush at least to 8,000 ft. I believe it's been snowing up there this week, so I imagine it will be tough trail breaking even with skis/snowshoes.

The summit was still very heavily coated. Not too different from the April photo. Again, with the snow this week, I would expect it to remain covered in rime ice.

Thinking of heading down here for the long weekend?

I didn't get very high up, but it was mush at least to 8,000 ft. I believe it's been snowing up there this week, so I imagine it will be tough trail breaking even with skis/snowshoes.

The summit was still very heavily coated. Not too different from the April photo. Again, with the snow this week, I would expect it to remain covered in rime ice.

Thinking of heading down here for the long weekend?

I was... but we're probably gonna go for Hood instead.