Mammut Pro Cord 5mm as a cordelette??

Dustin_B

So what do you think of using 5mm Mammut Pro Cord as a cordelette? My current cordelette is 5mm spectra (and still stiff as hell after 4 years of use). 5mm Pro Cord is rated to 5.5 kN. Can't remember what the breaking strength of spectra is. Thanks for your insights.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently went back to 7 mm nylon after seeing the research that showed all the high tech cords lost significant strength very quickly due to flexing. Nylon is stronger in the medium and long term, knots and handles far better and is way cheaper.

i'd like to read up on that...any links to some of the info D?

Well, materials are evolving all the time and that analysis was 10 years old. I use this stuff at work and am quite impressed. A bit different than the climbing cord out there, and cheaper:

http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/index.php?p=details&mfc=Samson&sku=870012706030-grey&frm=g

We've used this stuff for years out in the sun; it's constantly being flexed and loaded. I've never seen it break, even when it looks beyond ratty. I know this isn't a climbing test, but it makes me wonder. Fishermen friends have used in the mountains for years . . .and I think I may join them.