conditions on mt. st. helens?

aukushner

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried today -- the forecast was for snow, but was 'supposed' to end around 11. We headed out of the parking lot a bit past 10 in a rain/snow mix. As we got to tree line we were teased with some sun and blue sky breaks - but they quickly went away and instead the visibility decreased with snow, fog and clouds.

Not sure how far we went before we decided to turn around. We ran into some other folks who made it up further than us and said the visibility just got worse.

On a brighter note - the skiing was really fun and you can make it almost back to your car!

Skied it on Sunday, along with everyone else and their mother. We left a little too early (7am), so skinning was difficult due to iciness and mostly booted up. Skiing was nice up high with good corn, okay in the middle with sticky variable, and pretty mushy down low. We were able to ski to within about 200 ft of the parking lot, but that is melting out fast!

• 2 weeks later...

To give a vague answer more rooted in past than present experience (I.E.- I haven't been up there recently), I'd say slow shoes are more useful this time of year than crampons. hopefully that is helpful. Not say that you won't possibly use crampons and not use snow shoes.

Edited by summitchaserCJB