[TR] El Potrero Chico - 3/29/2010

Trip: El Potrero Chico -

Date: 3/29/2010

Trip Report:

I managed to get away for about 10 days of climbing down in Mexico in March and had a great time. This site has some beta but really no TRs for Potrero, so here's a link to one. Go check this place out if you get a chance.

El%20Potrero%20Chico.jpg

Time%20Wave%20Zero.jpg

La%20Posada%20Hammocks.jpg

Pitch%204%20of%20Space%20Boys.jpg

Orion%20Over%20El%20Toro%20with%20Border.jpg

Ridge%20Belay%20on%20Dope%20Ninja.jpg

Topping%20Out%20on%20Satori.jpg

Gear Notes:

70 m rope, 25 draws

Approach Notes:

Continental Flight 2185

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant, what a grand adventure!

I recall an expedition to search for the lost treasure of the Sierra Madre in 1951. Lost for 43 days and near death, we stumbled onto what is now known as El Potrero Chico.

A 7 year old sheep herder's son was kind enough to share a bit of food and water, saving us from near certain death. Edmund Hause, the son of the duke of Leeds, was so grateful he christened the towering heights Crag Homero in honor of the charitable young lad. We rested in the shade of those majestic ramparts for three weeks until our strength returned.

Our party carried forth on to the warm azure waters of the Gulf of Mexico where we sought passage home on a tramper loaded with cotton, bound for Morocco.

Unfortunately the duke's son wad killed by Azeem, the ship's swarthy Egyptian cook, after being accused of cheating in a game of hearts.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a great trip and super time. I especially like the lack of bolts in your pics so that Dwayner doesn't show up spraying about how all the routes are bolted blah blah. What was the longest route you climbed Chris?

Not much to say on Lord AW's bit except that it's right on the money as a period piece and I foresee a knighthood for this kind of writing.

Brilliant, what a grand adventure!

I recall an expedition to search for the lost treasure of the Sierra Madre in 1951. Lost for 43 days and near death, we stumbled onto what is now known as El Potrero Chico.

A 7 year old sheep herder's son was kind enough to share a bit of food and water, saving us from near certain death. Edmund Hause, the son of the duke of Leeds, was so grateful he christened the towering heights Crag Homero in honor of the charitable young lad. We rested in the shade of those majestic ramparts for three weeks until our strength returned.

Our party carried forth on to the warm azure waters of the Gulf of Mexico where we sought passage home on a tramper loaded with cotton, bound for Morocco.

Unfortunately the duke's son wad killed by Azeem, the ship's swarthy Egyptian cook, after being accused of cheating in a game of hearts.

opps, nevermind my question, all I had to do was click the link and read it which I did. ".....the route checked in at III+, 5.11- A0, 2300'. Most of the climbing is super easy and the cruxes are all well bolted. The rock is excellent. The views are amazing. Serious fun! "

"......about 1000 ft of high quality sport climbing up a steep wall with a brilliant crux pitch up sporting awesome exposure."

...."I climbed more than 90 pitches over 9 separate climbing days while I was there..."

....."7 pitches and 700 feet to the top of the ridge. "

Awesome......just awesome, thanks for sharing it with us.

Edited by billcoe

• 8 months later...