Climbing in the NW in an El Nino Year?

TimL

Can anyone help me out here? I´m thinking about taking the summer off from work and coming back to the NW a little early this year...say the middle of June til the very end of August. What I´m trying to remember is if the summer after an El Nino year is on average drier with better weather or rainier with worse weather. I seem to remember that the weather last summer wasn´t so good, but I think my perception of NW weather is changing after spending so much time in Spain. Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what Cliff Mass has to say about upcoming summer weather

NOAA 3 month outlook

Above normal temperatures

[img:center]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vgawnhRg_KY/S8UsTugK5QI/AAAAAAAACZA/rhWORCP7gPc/s400/off03_temp.gif[/img]

Below normal precipitation

[img:center]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vgawnhRg_KY/S8UsT8W4uKI/AAAAAAAACZI/OvB_YAVV604/s400/off03_prcp.gif[/img]

You can look at his blog. He describes how predictions and observations differ ;)

Cliff Mass Blog

seem to remember that the weather last summer wasn´t so good,

I climbed more in the Cascades last summer than any of the previous 20. I thought the weather was awesome and never got skunked.

Thats my point, I've lost my point of reference for "good" Cascade weather.

Not sure if this is a trend or not, but it seems like the summers have been warmer/drier in the NW the past two years. Can anyone confirm? Last year was crazy, every weekend was splitter with such reliability that I stopped checking the forecast when planing trips as it always seemed to be great.

-Nate

Dry and warm and low snow year...you may be sitting out a full forest closure as opposed to worrying about rain...at least in BC they are already talking about it.

Last time they went as far as closing down most trails including the backside trail in squamish

last year it went as far as a voluntary closure...

Yo Tim...

you should drag Drew out some...i'm stuck working but he'd be stoked to tramp around witcha...

Sounds good. I'll give you a shout when i get back. I'm sure he can hang the draws on my projects.

Thanks Tim...Gimme a call when you get in...