Shiny new bolt on Castle Rock

RJRiha

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubtful Tele given these posts.

I don't remember seeing one there in the past.

I was up there a couple months ago doing Damnation Crack and didn't notice anything. Just the Angel anchors about 10 feet from Jello. Might it need chopping?

What are the Angel anchors and when did they come into existence? Summit chaser when you fix this new bolt, might the Angel anchor need "chopping" as well?

Thanks!

With regard to the Angel anchor...Thank God but why haven't some locals gone and pried out that block so that climbers will be less inclined to leave their trash for the sake of a convenience anchor.

Sol check out the quotes above they seem to be refering to a new bolt!

Edited by Peter_Puget

The bolt is off to the left, certainly not protecting the step across. I'm not entirely sure where Midway Direct Direct (the 5.9 I believe) goes, but judging from the Leavenworth guidebook, it could very well be upgraded hardware for that route.

I find myself even more conservative than SCJB. Part of the fun of climbing is experiencing the "traditional" fixed gear. It gives me a sense of history that simply isn't there with modern stainless gear. I use to carry several quickdraws with narrow gates so that I could clip those pull tab aluminum hangers that use to be quite common. I can't remember the last Leeper hanger I clipped. Sadly this whole upgrade process is dumbing down our sport. Let's agree to leave the "classics" classic!

Why didn't you? Sometime you have to draw the line. Besides I'll point it out again. By Malcolm and Sum Chaser didn't see any new bolts recently. I am guess that this is the result of the new guidebook coming out and young gym trained climbers wanting to get their names into the next guide.

Yes, I think the Midway Direct Direct bolts have been there for years but it does seem that maybe the original post in this threaad is about a new bolt.

Separate question about MDD: was there once a bolt somewhere in that face climbing following the two closely spaced bolts? I used to lead that pitch regularly but it was many years ago and now I look up there and it doesn't look like what I want to do any more. I don't remember thinking it was scary.

Hmm Jefe -- I am not sure I am encouraging anybody to do anything but as both Mattp and I have pointed out the bolt in question appears to be a new one!

Also, I have been climbing at Castle for ~30 years. I have been there recently :http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/950646/Where_is_everyone#Post950646

If you want to take me upon a wager I 'll be happy to bet ($10.00) that I have climbed more routes at Castle than telemarker. Of course that fact doesn't mean anything as far as adding value to our comments.

Edited by Peter_Puget

I find myself even more conservative than SCJB. Part of the fun of climbing is experiencing the "traditional" fixed gear. It gives me a sense of history that simply isn't there with modern stainless gear. I use to carry several quickdraws with narrow gates so that I could clip those pull tab aluminum hangers that use to be quite common. I can't remember the last Leeper hanger I clipped. Sadly this whole upgrade process is dumbing down our sport. Let's agree to leave the "classics" classic!
yep...that old aluminum hanger is just like the one used by the FA!! :rolleyes:, likewise them bomber 1/4"-ers!!!!! Same as the day they were put in, i tell ya! :rolleyes:

keepin' it real...

People talk too much about chopping bolts on routes that, too often, they have never climbed, are not capable of climbing, and never plan to climb.

Now people are talking about chopping bolts they don't really know anything about and others are talking about chopping bolts they haven't even seen and don't know anything about.

All of this seems unreasonable to me.