Carry that cell phone - in case of an avalanche

ScaredSilly

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky guy. When i was reading the NWAC forecast yesterday I noticed they had a comment about the fact that there were a number of near miss disasters over the past week involving all the new snow. I think Spring hits and many people figure avalanche season is over, despite there being more new snow than there was at any point during the winter. Things are probably a bit more consolidated now, but until we get a prolonged Spring warm up there are still lots of dangers out there.

From NWAC:

"Finally, way too many people have skirted disaster and relied on luck for surviving accident involvements over the past week. Relying on luck is anything but reliable in avalanche terrain, and backcountry travelers should use extra caution, cautious routefinding and conservative decision making until the recent deep snows are able to consolidate and stabilize further"

Yeah I think they have another few days of reports then it goes in to the "spring avalanche season" where they ony report if really serious conditions develop. Time of day is a huge factor this time of year too. When in doubt, travel over anything setchy in the morning, or not at all. Afternoon warming + endlessly deep glop = bad, mmmkay.

Carrying a cell phone in the backcountry is a good idea, but it's really not that effective in avy scenarios unless you are wearing your bluetooth headset. Victims who were wearing bluetooths when a burial occurred where able to dial for help 43% more often than those using conventional cell phones.

Carrying a cell phone in the backcountry is a good idea, but it's really not that effective in avy scenarios unless you are wearing your bluetooth headset. Victims who were wearing bluetooths when a burial occurred where able to dial for help 43% more often than those using conventional cell phones.

LOL! What about bluetooth headset, attached to a sat phone? If I combine that with my avalung, scuba setup and avy air-bag I can stop worrying altogether! ;)

If he didn't have enough space to use his hand cell phone he wouldn't have had enough oxygen to survive 3 to 4 hour under the snow like he did.

Perhaps Gym would like to tell us a story about a incredible climbing adventure he survived thanks to his bluetooth cell phone. :o

Did an avy I course a couple of months ago...turns out the Iphone sets off digital receivers like the Tracker II. Cool if you're buried and the search party is running digital receivers...pisser if you're a searcher, switched over to "search" mode and your team mates keeping "finding" you instead of the victim.

Moral? Turn off your cell phone when in search mode..just one more thing to remember and do when things really go sideways

steve

Actually, a very good reason to wear a transceiver if you're out alone is that they do come in handy for the people who end up looking for you.

or other people who fuck up - I've used a transceiver skiing solo to search for someone else

Some Recco decals (or diodes in cellphone/beacon/etc) are a nice corpse recovery addition.