BD Megawatt?

Dane

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a pair yesterday. We are supposed to get some snow tomorrow so hopefully I can make it out in the BC and give you a better report but they definitely are a quiver ski. They are supposed to be great in powder (duh) and surprisingly good in everything else but hard pack. I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.

Took my Megawatts out for the first time today. Had 10" of fairly heavy inverted snow that got pretty sun effected later in the day. In the untracked they were great, you could drive them as much as you wanted and the giant rockered tip would refuse to dive. They are surprisingly nimble in the trees but at the same time love to be opened up on the bowls. In the cut up crud at the resort they were hands down the easiest ski I have ever been on with their flotation and mass they just plowed through and over everything. While definitely not a ski for hardpack and groomers they still did just fine, although it probably wasn't the prettiest thing. All in all I am super happy with them and will probably ski them a lot more then I was expecting. The new Zealot is probably a better all around ski, but the Megawatt definitely does what it was designed to do extremely well while still being fun on everything else.

IMHO, the best BD all around ski currently is the Justice - which is a scaled down version of the Mega with a much better (more normal) chamber, less (but more than enough) rocker, and weights 1-1/2 lbs less. The Mega is a good powder/crud ski but nowhere near as versatile and definitely very slide-y on hard pack (lives up to its "clown ski" rep. The Mega is a cult ski cuz it is the Big Daddy of the BD line (I like the Atomic Big Daddy a little better for that size) but I really think that 115mm underfoot (Justice) is more than enough and 125mm (Mega) is overkill and begins to work against you.

I just skied the new Justice skis on Saturday at Crystal. I thought they skied very well, the rocker tip keeps you above the snow no matter what and they're completely fine on groomers/hardpack (although obviously not at home there). I haven't skied a dedicated powder ski like the Megawatts, but in powder I don't think the Justice will disappoint.

I have the 175cm length (I generally like shorter skis) and they're very nimble, but I feel like I'm mounted too far forward at boot-center. It's no problem in the powder, but makes edging on harder stuff a little trickier. I'll probably have them remounted 2cm back or similar - something to consider if you get a pair.