Conditions on Hood SS?

thinair28

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I skinned up the SS on saturday in a whiteout. Soft snow above the palmer, and that's where I turned around because of visibility. When I was pulling off the skins, I was postholing up to my knees, so you might want skis or some other floation device.

The snow on the ride down was fantastic, until I hit the mashed potatoes around silcox hut, from there the ride sucked.

We went up Saturday night/Sunday morning. The sky was perfectly clear all the way to the top. We got first tracks and first to the summit for sunrise. By the time we got back down to Hoggsback there were cattle tracks. We went up to the right of the Old Route and it was perfect. Another person who came up behind us and met up at the Hoggsback said the Pearly Gates were water ice. I didn't personally verify it but the guy summited through the Pearly Gates with ice tools.

By the way, there was enough snow to cover all of the rock formations to the top. Nothing but snow, no rock scraping at all.

• 3 weeks later...

So, looking for opinions on Hood tonight / Saturday morning. Standard SS - Old Chute route. Weather looks like it will be acceptable. NWAC says 2' - 5' fell this week and avi danger is a 3 on their scale of 1 - 5. Seems acceptable to me for doing this route and getting out by mid morning or am I wrong?

Yeah, since my first post my wife quashed the idea anyways:argue:. Could go Saturday night but the avy danger looks to be greatly increasing with the 2nd day of warmer weather. Oh well, maybe next weekend! :)

I have been debating all day whether to head up there tonight. I decided against it as the prediction is for thunderstorms around there as well as the avy danger. So I'll settle for hiking in the gorge tomorrow. Bummer, I need to start conditioning so I can summit Hood by month end.

My partner and I are headed up to take a look from the Hogs Back.

We will see. It looks like a go to me. But is always best to look before you leap. Got skins and skis for the first time so I can ski off from the top of the Palmer. Wahooo!!