Madrone Wall- Time to Build Some Trails!

elaine

Hello Madrone Wall Supporters! The forward progress continues!

We are excited to announce the first of 3 trail building parties. With the help of a $5000 grant from REI ( Access Fund is pending), we will be moving some earth around in the coming months. So be prepared to get dirty! Our group will be working with the Mazamas, Trailkeepers of Oregon, Clackamas County Natural Resources, and Climb Max on these efforts.

And the best part? Clackamas County is drafting up a liability waiver that will let volunteers climb after each work party. And please don’t push the opportunity and think that the site is open to climbing. It’s not. Why? Because the site construction to support the amount of use it will get has not even begun. There is no parking lot, no bathroom, no emergency vehicle access road, and no trails have been built. Let’s just take this as a big positive and a great opportunity for those who have been waiting for so long.

All volunteers MUST register through REI. Go to www.rei.com/clackamas where you will find the event on their main page.

The specs are below:

Meet at the Carver School before 9:00 am to carpool to the site ( 16077 SE Hwy 224)

9:00 am-1:00pm - Move some earth! Bring whatever trail building tools you have, and bring work gloves, water, sunscreen, snacks, etc.

1:00 - 2:00pm. BBQ with Climb Max on site

2:00-5:00 - Climbing

5:00pm Carpool back to Carver School.

If you have actual trail building experience and think you could lead or co-lead a crew of 7-10 people, please contact Keith at kdaellenbach@att.net

All participants must be 12 years or older. There will be some garbage pick up and other “lighter” tasks for those that cannot do the heavy work of building trails.

Other clean and climb dates are: June 27th and September 12th. So stay tuned for future announcements.

Thanks for reading!

Kellie

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's so cool Kellie! I'm down with trail building! Strange that the dates are so far apart though. You want to be on this in the spring, trails suck when the dirt is dry and hard.

First date coming up soon: 5/23/2010 (Sorry - didn't see in in your post)

Ya have to register at REI here: REI Registration There is only 90 slots available. 89 slots left. Anyone climbing without registering will be arrested and sent to jail.

Just kidding about the jail part....I think.

ps, Climbmax has those real light sick Kong nut tools in stock right now. W00T for Climbmax!

Edited by billcoe

Thanks, Bill. The 3 dates were planned in conjunction with the County Yes, dirt is easier to move around in the Springtime.

A small group will be headed out this week to flag the trails.

Volunteers will not be able to just show up without registering through REI.

See you there!

• 5 weeks later...

Well, turns out I have to go to my nieces graduation in LaGrande for a family/reunion kind of thing. I tried to weasel out but there are times family take precedence and this is one of them.

Sorry.

I see that to cancel, I'll need to call the local store in Clackamas, (503) 659-1156, which I will do.

There are still 8 spots available for signups as of right now if anyone is considering this for next weekend. Adam wants to know if he can bring his dog Penelope.

Penelope

Penolope_small.jpg

Bill - I'll miss seeing your mug out there!

Penelope is a cute dog. I don't believe that dogs will be allowed because of people working with heavy and sharp tools. I'd hate to have your friend sign up to volunteer and then get turned away when his dog was brought on the property.

Thanks for asking.

Whats amazing?

As of right now, there is one spot for this coming Sunday. One spot left. ONE. If you signed up but are not planning on going, call the store and let them know like I did so that someone with a strong back and a drive to go climb afterwards can get some in.

It's going to be wet ground, W00t!, the best for digging in! Bring mattocks, picks, gloves and shovels. The Squitos are coming out now as well. Plan on some bug spray as it's right next to the river.

Have fun my bros! Thanks for posting this Kelly! Special thanks to Keith as well for some dogged determination not rarely seen on this planet!

I have a couple friends who just decided yesterday that they want to go too. But the REI website says it's all full.

I have a hard time believing, though, that 100 people will show up - especially since it's supposed to be raining.

Kellie - should waitlisted people call REI to see if they can still try to show up on Sunday, to take the spots of the inevitable no-shows?

I would suggest contacting REI.

Sorry folks, but REI isn't assuming that those 100 folks are not planning on showing up.

The event has been advertised for some time. Folks might just have to wait until the next June event.

I don't think that anyone will be without a climbing partner - there will be plenty of volunteers ready to climb afterwards.

What the heck? Rec'd via email, could be a joke, but REI is the return address. I was suppose to have been removed as a volunteer for the event but appear to still on the email list. REI hasn't updated the event on their site yet.

"Volunteers- Due to unforeseen circumstances Clackamas County Parks (CCP) has to cancel the Madrone Wall trail building event scheduled for May 23, 2010. As CCP was preparing for this event staff observed and determined that Peregrine Falcons are nesting at the site. We have since consulted with the US and Oregon Departments of Fish and Wildlife and the Audubon Society of Portland to verify and seek management recommendation. They have all recommended that we cancel this event in order to avoid potential nest failure while we collect additional information. This species is highly protective of nest sites and sensitive to disturbances. While some pairs breed in areas of more disturbance, such as bridges, each breeding pair has its own level of tolerance to disturbances. Our observations at this point have concluded that this breeding pair is highly sensitive to very small disturbances. Under federal statue, CCP is obligated to monitor and protect this site. While disruptive of our event, CCP is ready to partner with the USFWS, ODFW and other groups to participate in the conservation of this species. CCP??s is sorry for the late cancellation notification. We are committed to updating the public as we gather additional information. In addition, we are very hopeful that everyone in the community will continue to respect the standing site closure. Sincerely- Tonia Burns Natural Resources Coordinator Clackamas County Parks Office- (503)742-4357 tburns@co.clackamas.or.us"

Keith just called me and told me about it being cancelled.

Keith and Clackamas Co had not heard or seen peregrines earlier this Spring, but I know for sure they were out there last Spring - we heard and saw them on the wildflower tour. A Wildlife Biologist / Natural Resources person with the County observed them recently this week.

All volunteers would have received a reminder e-mail about the clean up anyways, so the e-mail from REI is no joke.

Sorry folks. June's event is not certain with the fledging of any peregrine chicks.

This sucks.

Thanks, Joseph, Hemp, and Bill.

I received a note from the Natural Resources gal who has been helping us along with planning these clean ups. A County Americorp employee / intern was out on Thursday. He was headed into the open meadow area with a chainsaw to clear some of the downed trees and such. The saw wasn't even buzzing and he heard the distinct cacking of the peregrine(s).

What an ironic week for us MWPC folks.

We got word from an involved citizen who attended a forestry meeting within the last two weeks with the County. She's part of a CPO, and Dan Zinzer, the Head of County Parks, said that the Madrone Wall was now being moved up to Category 1 Status within the County. Meaning that it was being viewed as an equal priority as their other current parks/ park projects. They've NEVER said that before.

We're just afraid that this is going to be a much longer process now.