Alpine ice routes

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tons of stuff out there - here are a few:

Both the Colchuck glacier route and the NE Coulior on Colchuck.

N face of Lane Peak in MT Rainier NP has 3 to do, depending on conditions there may be a small bit of mixed in any of them (like a move or two - good place to learn.) This time of year usually all three are pretty fat.

After the last few weeks of snbow, the NE route on the Tooth is probably in as well.

Once the N Cascades highway opens up the Couloir On S Early winters is a good one as well.

Jim Couch

hey rocketboy,

liberty ridge,rainier-snice/50-60'

n.face,mt maude/snow/50'

n.ridge mt.baker/snow,ice to/65'

sherpa glacier,mt.stuart snow,ice/60'

n face,mt shuksan/snice/60.

these typically dont have "mixed climbing" except the oddball move or two through a thin rockband cond. dependent - all are moderate climbs in commitment though offer a variety of charecteristic challenges and cascade locals...have a good time out there..

There arent that many alpine ice routes in the Cascades. But that said, Spring is a great time to get on whatever you can if the weather cooperates

From my own experience, here is what you should be considering:

North Buttress Couloir Colchuck - entry level

NEB Couloir Colchuck - little bit harder than its neighbor

Triple Couloirs Dragontail - not as difficult as it seems, you can always bypass the runnels by continuing to top of Hidden Couloir and doing 2 moderate rock climbing pitches to enter the Third couloir

N Face Dragontail - longer than Triple Couloirs, similar terrain

Stuart Glacier Couloir Stuart

Ice Cliff Glacier Stuart - probably better in May

East Couloir Cutthroat - classic thin ice line very limited season. Do it the first week or two the highway is open

Greybeard NF - lots of reports of good times and lots of reports of bad times on this route. YMMV. One of the few I havent done and not particularly interested after hearing the latest avalanche story. Gotta stay alive for my kids now.

Cosley Houston on Colfax - in fat and easy shape probably through May

Lovers Lane, Zipper Tatoosh - easy classics

Chair - easy classics with easy approach.

Maude - someone mentioned but I've found its approach not worth the climb. Maybe a sa ski?

NFace Buckner - I did this in June one year and it was a nice trip but again probably better as a ski

Colonial - booyah

That should get you started

June is late and full alpine rock mode and stuff. Only things that might be in in June, as Gene said - stuff way high up like N Ridge Baker if you want to call that alpine ice, Hood routes possibly like Sandy Headwall, things of that nature. All the lowland climbs below say 8000 ft (which is most of the Cascades) are going to be mush....