Public Notice:

Am I right?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Am I right?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta spend a lot of time at the upper picnic area with that view checking on the birds to finally see it as a matter of just being out there.

oh, i imagine there are other ways to see it more quickly, plus pink elephants having parades on the summit n' whatnot :toad:

Sadly Bill you guys didn't learn much.

It's OK Peter, we learned a lot of things:-) (AND WE STILL SUCK!) :lmao:

sampling:

*I however did remove, er... "enhanced" 90 cubic yards of dirt/moss and 3 hornets nests off of Clean Love, an excellent Doug and Karen Klewn route to the right of the Fault. Sorry everyone!

Ain't-cha proud of yerself? by the way, it's "Klewin".

Raindawg, why exactly to you feel compelled to reply like a snide jerk? I think scrubbing up Clean Love and returning it to circulation is a positive thing, as is replacing any number of rusty quarter inch bolts, and I fail to understand why you think being rude is cool.

You guys are so uptight you could take the fun out of a blowjob.

Jeesh you guys are tougher than the A’s! Ok my last suggestion may have been over the top and Lance’s picture and some of the other posts have caused me to reconsider my stance on bolts at Castle Rock.

It seems we all agree that Castle rock is “sacred” ground and that we should honor our “forefathers”. Some of the first crag climbs in the Wa were establish at Castle rock. Gardening while commonplace now was novel and new when logger’s ledge earned its moniker. In the late 70’s and early 80’s Castle was the scene of full on scrubbing adventures. Many of the routes still admired today were inspected and top roped before their FA (eg No Free Lunge) Several non-bolt “sport” routes were established. For example Monkey Lip is a pin ladder and Das Musak was as all pin protected when it was first climbed. Bolts are not foreign to Castle Rock; there are many routes with bolts. Starting in the later 80’s Castle Rock fell out of favor and entered into a “Dark Age.” Moss buried many quality routes. From the looks of things Lance and his people seem to be unearthing these buried treasures. (sacred relics?) Why stop there? Why not continue the Castle Rock traditional of being “untraditional” and start putting up some sport routes on the steep section to the left of Das Muzak? Wouldn’t continuing the tradition and keep Castle a living area be the best way to honor its history as a ground breaking climbing area?

Hmmmm. I actually spent time and read other people's posts and changed my position. I think this might the first time in one of these debates where someone's positon has changed. (please no sex jokes)

Why not continue the Castle Rock traditional of being “untraditional” and start putting up some sport routes on the steep section to the left of Das Muzak? Wouldn’t continuing the tradition and keep Castle a living area be the best way to honor its history as a ground breaking climbing area?

The rationales people will adopt, crib, or bastardize to justify bolting routes anywhere they want never ceases to amaze me.

How did you change your mind Peter?

Been a long time since I've climbed at Castle, it always seemed like Washington had so much better stuff....that's probably why it's not as popular, cause you guys are so rich in great climbs and super areas. [/envy] LOL!

How did you change your mind Peter?

Been a long time since I've climbed at Castle, it always seemed like Washington had so much better stuff....that's probably why it's not as popular, cause you guys are so rich in great climbs and super areas. [/envy] LOL!

Well at first I was against bolts at the sacred place called Castle Rock - Now I think that they have their place. It's funny how people argue against bolts spreading all over and then they argue about keeping existing areas bolt free. Seems like a contradiction to me.

Edited by DCramer

Ivan -

Still lots of new lines on the Upper Wall to do - come get 'em. No permission slip required.

but then i'd, like, have to drive all that way, and, like, walk up a steep hill n' stuff! :)

am looking forward to spending some more time at index this summer though - still have a number of the aid-classics to do their first though...goddamn i wish it wasn't 3 1/2 hrs away!