Public Notice:

Am I right?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Am I right?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow--I think I've actually gotten dumber while reading through this f-ing ridiculous thread. I tried to read through it to find out what the exact problem is, but to no avail. Is it that us PDX folks are uptight bitches???

Now I hate all the fucking hipsters in this town as much as the next self-respecting person, but in the four years I've been living and climbing here I have never, run into one of these "crag cops" (I'll exclude the ones that once gathered at the base of a route telling me I was going to die without a rope)

You talk about man to man, with cold beers, but you tossed the opening volley from your desk??? I'll give you a shout the next time I'm in L-town and we can have a beer, talk about the routes your friend put up. I'll even help you poke up of Portland, but the bitching has got to stop.

Yes, there is some sorry ass BS, that happens in this town. Especially in regards to a certain guidebook (which by the way makes this place look like the backwoods of climbing) I was even complaining about it today.

But guess what!!

You have a choice! You can choose to not read it. I don't, and I live here.

Maybe this thread should be moved to "counseling" because of the amount of crying that's been going on. I mean goddamn. I thought I was bad, talking about my feelings all the time. Apparently I'm not the only one who needs to be on medication.

You threw down the gauntlet, knowing full well that it would get a response. You got it and now you're talking about how things shouldn't be settled over the internet??? Well I'll see you in L-town and we can talk about how "awful" everyone is. First round is on me.

Lastly, I don't know a single climber my (self included) who is either normal or well adjusted, let alone both.

WHERE ARE THE MODS ON THIS THREAD? OW WAS PRETTY SWIFT WITH THE ONE THAT WENT FROM THE GORGE FORUM TO SPRAY IN UNDER A MINUTE...

Oh shut up bitch. If you think that yelling and screaming like that gets you what you want, then your momma done brought you up wrong.

This forum was built just so you all had your own little sandlot. This forum is sort of a special case, and you PDX people engage in climbing related spray pretty freely in here. I don't know if you've noticed, but if you're not a logged in registered user of this site, you can't even see that this forum exists. So, while Lance is absolutely trolling you all, and it's a fine bit of spray at that, it's not all that different from what you say to each other. Do you folks really want it moved to Spray?

I don't babysit this forum like I tend to do in the Climbers Board. If you need help, I'd urge you to pretend this is an MLU and push the "notify" button in the lower right corner, and I will mount a rescue.

Off, you are one of the calmer heads around, and your work is appreciated, don't change a thing. :wave:

I suppose though, that given that this was a location where one could freely act like a retarded 6 year old at will, it must be quite the surprising shock when a normal person, brought up on a diet of reduced spray threads with a bunch of semi-normal folks posting, wanders over here to the "Columbia River Mental Institution Climbers Home" forum.

Oh shut up bitch. If you think that yelling and screaming like that gets you what you want, then your momma done brought you up wrong.

This forum was built just so you all had your own little sandlot. This forum is sort of a special case, and you PDX people engage in climbing related spray pretty freely in here. I don't know if you've noticed, but if you're not a logged in registered user of this site, you can't even see that this forum exists. So, while Lance is absolutely trolling you all, and it's a fine bit of spray at that, it's not all that different from what you say to each other. Do you folks really want it moved to Spray?

I don't babysit this forum like I tend to do in the Climbers Board. If you need help, I'd urge you to pretend this is an MLU and push the "notify" button in the lower right corner, and I will mount a rescue.

there is a double standard here that what we do down here isn't ok and when it is done farther north is normal or expected - i'm comparing the IB crappola and pretty much everything that has gone on in the gorge forum in the past few weeks. there have been VOLUMES of garbage written about IB and all the controversy that surrounds it bolts and the verbal diarrhea goes on and on for lots more pages than any of this gorge bolt business.

i don't know what it is about our two fair states that makes us soooo different that it can't be understood that we are really the same. is it that OR doesn't have any granite like 11worth or ndex or is it that we don't have an abundance of great alpine climbs and have to settle for the lushness of what we do have, that being the gorge? and b/c of our settling for this manure in the beautiful columbia river gorge we get treated like red-headed stepchildren when we get amped up about stuff that bothers us, or stuff that we are passionate about. the gorge is all we have down here and when all you got isn't much you tend to get mighty defensive about it. our next greatest place is some secret hideaway that is still a few hours away. so if we go there we might as well go to ndex or 11worth anyway. so really what we are dealing with here a few small crags and beacon - that's it! we ain't got the enchantments, we ain't got stuart or j-burg, or alpine lakes or RAINIER. instead of bringing us down for what we stand up for maybe try understanding what it is that we have to deal with in terms of a lack of fabulously beautiful climbing. put yerselves in our shoes - then maybe you can understand.

and ow, control yerself - i am looking for fairness in all aspects of climbing (and this silly site). going through the forum lists i believe there is only one that specifically applies to OR, that being the OR cascades. the gorge forum applies to both OR and WA. the rest of the forums are either WA-based areas, montana, calif, ID or international. i believe there are just as many cascade mountains in OR as there are in WA, and this site is called "cascade"climbers.com, yes, not cascade"climbers".com? maybe the site should just be called washingtonclimbers.com since it is apparent that OR doesn't count for much here. :rolleyes:

[quote=LostCamKenny

the gorge is all we have down here :rolleyes:

speak for yourself and not other Oregonians in terms of the CRG being all that we got. same thing for smith. To limit Oregon rock-climbing into the Columbia River Gorge and Smith underestimates what the state has to offer.

No beef with what your saying in terms of the back and forth, just watch yourself in terms of summing up what the state has to offer in comparison to WA. I have a buddy who moved to Mazama region and still misses Oregon, for a whole set of different reasons in terms of climbing that have doesn't revolve around Granite vs. No Granite...

[quote=LostCamKenny

the gorge is all we have down here :rolleyes:

speak for yourself and not other Oregonians in terms of the CRG being all that we got.

portlandians then, checat. i don't want to drive 3.5 hrs if i don't have to in order to climb and if one doesn't want to climb in the gorge then that is what you are left with - drive to smiff or drive to washington's crags...

say what you want about the farside but goddamn - walking through last night looking for jim after finishing up w/ beacon, wild purple flowers in bloom all along the base, really nicely cleaned up/level trail, and exits on both ends now - a nice addition for certain - easier to accomodate big ozone like crowds but much less likely to get thronged like that - not bad, even if the climbs are all 20 feet tall! :)

say what you want about the farside but goddamn - walking through last night looking for jim after finishing up w/ beacon, wild purple flowers in bloom all along the base, really nicely cleaned up/level trail, and exits on both ends now - a nice addition for certain - easier to accomodate big ozone like crowds but much less likely to get thronged like that - not bad, even if the climbs are all 20 feet tall! :)
Yesterday when I was driving past, there was 1 car at the DZ and more than 20 at Ozone. Go figure.

and ow, control yerself

Excuse me, you were the one publicly screaming (that's what the All Caps approach is routinely associated with) at me for not policing your forum. I was completely unaware of this thread; I don't know if you've ever noticed but I moderate 18 different forums and they don't all get the same amount of attention from me. If there is something going on here that you think requires official intervention then you would be best advised to hit the the "notify" button, and I will receive a notification via email. I am no one's deity and I am not watching everything all the time.

I get bitched at for closing threads, not closing threads, deleting posts, not deleting posts, and for generally not forcing other people to behave better than the individuals who are complaining about them. Now you're bitching at me for not being omniscient and babysitting this forum as if you were all a bunch of three year olds likely to poke each other's eyes out? I didn't call you a bitch because I was out of control, rather it was an accurate descriptor for your childish behavior.

i am looking for fairness in all aspects of climbing (and this silly site). going through the forum lists i believe there is only one that specifically applies to OR, that being the OR cascades. the gorge forum applies to both OR and WA. the rest of the forums are either WA-based areas, montana, calif, ID or international. i believe there are just as many cascade mountains in OR as there are in WA, and this site is called "cascade"climbers.com, yes, not cascade"climbers".com? maybe the site should just be called washingtonclimbers.com since it is apparent that OR doesn't count for much here. :rolleyes:

Please note that the entire country of Canada only gets one forum, and no, there are a lot more mountains in the Cascades in Washington than in Oregon, even more so if you only count mountains of significant interest for climbers. I had supported the notion of a rock climbing specific forum for Oregon in response to user requests to keep the cragging stuff from being buried in Hood TR's. What happened was the admins created this forum, which I think came about partly due to all the Beacon bickering that was going on elsewhere. What might make sense is to instead add a Mt Hood forum, and let the non-gorge non-hood rest of oregon have the Oregon Cascades forum for itself. Conversely, you can discuss crags & post TR's in the Rock Climbing forum which is not geographically specific.

To address the question of what to do with this thread in general, its still unclear to me what you (Kenny) think should happen with this thread.

1: Ship it to Spray? That's what usually happens to IB & bolt war topics, largely because the general behavior sinks to that level almost immediately. If I put this thread in Spray, the amount of derogatory spray towards PDX climber behavior would go up exponentially, and I don't think that's particularly desirable.

2: Lock it? Well, that would shut off debate and curtail any further rebuttal anyone might want to offer. The topic is a bit of a troll, but it actually sounds like something that came out of a discussion by a bunch of climbers about their perceptions of the climbing scene in the Columbia Gorge. Lance might be fishing, but I don't think he's insincere. It doesn't strike me as something that should be locked.

3: Delete it? Surpisingly little is ever deleted here, mostly spam threads for free Ipods and inappropriate advertising attempts. The occasional abusive post gets clipped, and a boatload of ghoulish outsider crap got dumped from the Hood accident a few years ago, as well as a lot of stuff about a certain fraudulent speed hiker, but this thread doesn't really seem to meet that standard, regardless of whether your feelings are hurt. Lance is blunt and uncomplimentary, but he's not abusive or threatening. Many of you say far more rude and brutal things to Joseph routinely.

Having spent a fair bit of time looking at this thread, when I should be out working in the garden or replacing some anchors, it seems to me that the best option is to just leave it here. If any of you all think something different, make your case, I'm persuadable.

I have a buddy who moved to Mazama region and still misses Oregon, for a whole set of different reasons in terms of climbing that have doesn't revolve around Granite vs. No Granite...

For some things, there's just no way MANzama can compete with Portland (or Corvallis, Eugene, whatever).

Depends on your climbing interests. In that particular situation he adapted, as any good self serving climber would and got stronger in areas he needed to to best enjoy his local climbing, but overall climbers are a finicky bunch when it comes to what hits the good...

don't get me wrong washington kicks ass. I could go all day as far as how great washington climbing is - its just been my experience that different folks have varying views of what climbing kicks ass