Biting the bullet...

ropegoat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there are other posts on this, but figure I'd open it up.

LIke most of us, I sit at a desk all day and play with numbers (I'm an engineer). The result of this, is that I get a paycheck and live a decent middle-class life- it could easily be a career if I want it to.

I'm 25, have no commitments, a little bit of (cheap) school debt, a fit body, and a few thousand in the bank. Work has been rough lately, and for the nth time since starting there I'm thinking about quitting, except this time, it feels more serious. More than a nagging thought, more than something we all tell ourselves we "should" do.

Time to bite the bullet and climb for a year...

What questions do I need to be asking myself? What logistics should I consider? I'm looking forward to the humor.

Ropegoat...contact Mark Westman...he's on this site...he was in your shoes oh maybe 10 years ago and i was in your shoes 20 years ago.

I would do it...IF you have no other commitments other than yourself...

Please as a tax payer be a man and pay for your own trip. Don't fund it through unemployment. That no different than a well fare mother who works the system. I really think you should take the blunge but you should be an adult and pay for it your self. I'm tired of paying for people working the system. Have fun.....

A year? Maybe I'm just a wide-eyed college kid, but I'd say a year is only a small step in the right direction...the cheaper you live, the longer you can sustain yourself, so save up some money and dirtbag it for a couple years (at least!). You have no commitments now, so dive into it while you can- you have the education as a back up plan, anyways! Just my perspective (or lack thereof)

Please as a tax payer be a man and pay for your own trip. Don't fund it through unemployment. That no different than a well fare mother who works the system. I really think you should take the blunge but you should be an adult and pay for it your self. I'm tired of paying for people working the system. Have fun.....

He said he's in much better financial shape and he is putting in notice that he is leaving. Unless you try to really game the system and put yourself up to have to pay all of UI back and face other penalties, voluntarily leaving a job means you are not qualified for UI. Read his follow up post, sounds like he is being more adult than a lot of grown ups.

He said he's in much better financial shape and he is putting in notice that he is leaving. Unless you try to really game the system and put yourself up to have to pay all of UI back and face other penalties, voluntarily leaving a job means you are not qualified for UI. Read his follow up post, sounds like he is being more adult than a lot of grown ups.

Yeah, take the blunge... Or sumpin that no difernt dan dat... ;)

Be sure to post up all the adventure pics/TRs for the rest of us losers stuck at work...

My motto used to be "I like to live vicariously through myself". Now, I guess I have to live vicariously through someone else...

Water/Chris-

Indeed I share your sentiment. I have no recourse, or intention to scam unemployment, and feel sincerely fortunate to be financially stable enough with my own resources to be unemployed for the foreseeable future. This is an opportunity to explore new territory, for me, by me. Hopefully that doesn't change due to unexpected circumstances.

To the others: the reason I opened this thread again is to report that action has been taken. In March the job is gone, the lease is up, and the gear is packed... Thanks so much for the encouragement!

I will do my best to represent the PNW in some sick TRs

Rope

Enjoy the time off. You'll love it. I did it a bit different for my 6 month PCT thru hike. I managed to score a leave of absence and came back to the workin' world. I'm currently planning the next sabbatical.

It's sweet you're choosing to do this in your 20's - that you figured it out now and not later. I didn't do the thru until my mid 30's. You'll have that many more years to have the experience inform your life.

Looking forward to the picture laden TR's.

Haha, good timing. This has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm just finishing up an 8 month assignment in Europe and have managed to save a good chunk of money and pay off all of my debt. I miss the mountains more than anything right now.

I'll be between projects when I go back to the division that I normally work for in the PNW and it would be a good time to take a break before I get buried in more work. I need to figure it out quick and come up with some fun plans though.