Biting the bullet...

ropegoat

One to a few months on a regular basis throughout one's life can recharge the spirit more effectively than taking a year off per century. If you don't hate your job, and your presence is actually valued at work, a leave of absence is one option that doesn't require hitting the reset button.

Don't 'ask' for it. 'Inform' your employer that you need some time off and that you're going to take advantage of this great opportunity to do the first nude ascent of Makalu or whatever; you'd be surprised how flexible employers become...if they don't already want to flush your ass. It's gonna be way cheaper for them to figure something out than to hire somebody new if the leave of absence is relatively short.

The trick is, of course, to keep your expenses reasonable throughout your life. A lot of younger folks blow a sizable chunk of their disposable income on booze and bling, particularly their ride. Fine if you're rolling on cash, but if you even need to think about priorities; say FU to Madison Ave and cut that shit down; even a modest income will support a month or more off per year unpaid if no kids are involved. And learn how to cook from scratch, for fucks sake.

Your cooworkers will invariably say "I wish I could afford to do that" as the glower at you, simmering with resentful admiration, but it's almost always more about making choices rather than not having enough.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PPS: if you have a couple grand in the bank you should be shopping for a house right now

maybe in PDX I wish this was the case down here.

This has been a good read, but I would try and find other options, besides leaving your job. Maybe a relocation is in order, someplace you can climb most days after work? I am in a very similar boat. 25yrs, working like a peon. But i have been finding it best to work with my company. I figured out how to take a "sabbatical" in low chargeable times so they can take me off the payroll for a month and I gte to go play while keeping my benefits. That said I do have several buddies that work the unemployment gig and go spend this time of the year in Chile. Lots of stuff to think about propbably best to make a list of Pro's and Con's.

good luck

Depending on your vehicle situation, get a long bed light pickup truck, build a bed w/ drawers under it for storage. This will save you $$$ and will be infinitely more comfortable than trying to make a subaru/car work as an RV. Better yet, get a small RV (Chinook style). The old ones can be gotten for cheap.

Adding to the general theme. Go for it. Be sure to take off for long enough until the economy recovers.

I graduated 4 years ago, so I'm about the same age. I put off regular 'work' and got lucky with a couple of jobs. I've now been able to travel to 6 continents, and a bunch of countries. The travel can become addicting, but after scratching the proverbial itch I have matured to the point that I am now ready to settle down.

Maybe after your trip you will be ok with coming back to the desk jockey position. Enabling you to savor the pay check, good food, and stability that home has to offer. By traveling now, you will be investing in yourself and your future career.

There are also a number of organizations that are looking for engineers in third world and sustainable applications. Allowing you to spend time abroad and simultaneously filling in resume space.

PS when you give up your engineering job, can I get it?

Good luck, happy travels

Edited by whoiswillhockett

x2 on living close to where you can crag - can't believe i had the good fortune to fall ass-backwards into my current school, just 20 minutes from the big beacon!

teaching in general might be a good occupation for you - plenty of breaks, if nothing else :)

LOA dude LOA

get a job that allows you to have leave of absence then you dont have to worry about all these hypothetical situations and furthermore you dont have to buy into this its a once in a life time opportunity

FUCK THAT

How about work for 8 months and travel for 4 with cash and all that comes with it, hotels, pussy, good food, high end climbing...

Then you can just come back to work and start planning the next trip..

I am on to my fourth motorbiking and climbing trip to the Alps and Northern Africa again this summer...think 30 pitch rock climbs then beautiful spanish/Italian puss to work out the kinks afterwards...or you can sleep in your truck eating old pizza jerkin off

get a job with LOA and live the life, all you have to remember is to pull out cause kids will put a huge damper on this type of fun

x2 on teaching. I get 8 weeks off paid. Twice a year I get a full month off...jtree baby!

In technical colleges, you don't even need a teaching degree, you just have to really know your stuff, and have the personality for teaching.

We've got auto mechanics here who are teaching...they've never been to college, but they are awesome mechanics who have a natural gift for sharing what they know.

I have to admit I did take a three year walkabout...but I was 17 and dumb as a lump on a log. Looking back I wish I had not done it. The hippie days were a complete waste of time during my critical "college years" when I could have been becoming something...like an engineer.

If you have a job you can put up with, weekend climbing can be tolerable once you get that significant other...just make sure he or she is a climber.

for many years I had a job I hated most of the time, but it paid the bills, and I had Sue to come home to, and climb with on the weekends.

Still have Sue, the job is great, and I still climb...life is good.

LOA dude LOA

get a job that allows you to have leave of absence then you dont have to worry about all these hypothetical situations and furthermore you dont have to buy into this its a once in a life time opportunity

FUCK THAT

How about work for 8 months and travel for 4 with cash and all that comes with it, hotels, pussy, good food, high end climbing...

Then you can just come back to work and start planning the next trip..

I am on to my fourth motorbiking and climbing trip to the Alps and Northern Africa again this summer...think 30 pitch rock climbs then beautiful spanish/Italian puss to work out the kinks afterwards...or you can sleep in your truck eating old pizza jerkin off

get a job with LOA and live the life, all you have to remember is to pull out cause kids will put a huge damper on this type of fun

Hahaha! :lmao:

Sooner than you can imagine you will wake up a 41 year old with a rapidly deteriorating body and a wife and kid (maybe 2) and a heavy mortgage.

I would not trade my wife, two kids and mortgage for all the money in the world. My wife and two children are my world. Climbing is rad but does not even come close to having a family. IMO.

Sooner than you can imagine you will wake up a 41 year old with a rapidly deteriorating body and a wife and kid (maybe 2) and a heavy mortgage.

I would not trade my wife, two kids and mortgage for all the money in the world. My wife and two children are my world. Climbing is rad but does not even come close to having a family. IMO.

I feel the same way. My family life kicks ass. I'd also add that I weigh the same as when I graduated from high school and am a hell of a lot stronger, physically and mentally. Because we bought 1/2 the house we could afford, the mortgage isn't that big and we were just able to buy a little plot of land in the mountains. Don't let fear of the future affect your decision, but do get out and smell the roses.

Something else to consider...semi-unemployment. I took a job out of residency working about 10-13 days per month in the Harborview ER. Although technically still working, I was climbing, cycling, skiing, camping and travelling every day I wasn't at work for 2 years. Eventually I began to feel that I was wasting my time climbing so much and went back to get more training and the career progressed. Climbing now has a place in my life but it is not my whole life. If there's a way you could create a similar work situation, I'd highly recommend it for a year or two. After that you just need to find the right balance for you.

One to a few months on a regular basis throughout one's life can recharge the spirit more effectively than taking a year off per century. If you don't hate your job, and your presence is actually valued at work, a leave of absence is one option that doesn't require hitting the reset button.

Don't 'ask' for it. 'Inform' your employer that you need some time off and that you're going to take advantage of this great opportunity to do the first nude ascent of Makalu or whatever; you'd be surprised how flexible employers become...if they don't already want to flush your ass. It's gonna be way cheaper for them to figure something out than to hire somebody new if the leave of absence is relatively short.

The trick is, of course, to keep your expenses reasonable throughout your life. A lot of younger folks blow a sizable chunk of their disposable income on booze and bling, particularly their ride. Fine if you're rolling on cash, but if you even need to think about priorities; say FU to Madison Ave and cut that shit down; even a modest income will support a month or more off per year unpaid if no kids are involved. And learn how to cook from scratch, for fucks sake.

Your cooworkers will invariably say "I wish I could afford to do that" as the glower at you, simmering with resentful admiration, but it's almost always more about making choices rather than not having enough.

:tup::tup::tup:

Here are a couple of things I had to consider when I left my job.

1. I was FUCKING miserable. I worked at a soul sucking job with a bitch of a boss, who made my life even more miserable when I failed to fawn over her like ever other man. I was so dissatisfied with my life that I once considered taking the big leap and staying six feet under. That dissatisfaction lead to the end of a relationship with a girl I wanted to marry and help raise her two kids. That shit sucks.

If you feel like that, then cut the cord. But it doesn't sound like that's how you feel.

you

2.Maybe its a life/work balance thing. If you work a ton of hours over what's required of you then perhaps a talk with your boss is in order. Failing that, maybe you can take some time off, climb your ass off then move to a place that has better weather and more high quality crags close to town (SLC!!!)

You can be secure in the fact that you have a degree that allows you to gain employment not like having a BA in Anthropology or some unemployable shit like that.

I'll add that I'm fucking broke and have had a hard time finding work, but thats that Anthro degree working for me. But with all that said I'm no longer having the life sucked out of me by that ominous black box in downtown PDX and I'm no longer contributing to the sucking of money out of other peoples pockets for medical costs not covered by their insurance and I'm happier because of it.

Plus everything I've been through since that job has caused me to really focus on what's important to me and what I need to do to make some money and be happy at the same time.

If you think you would have fun doing it and can afford to do, even if you can't afford it, just do it. I haven't taken a complete year, I have taken 6 months at a time and it was great and I will do it again in a heartbeat.

One thing you can do is talk to your employer about taking a leave of absence, if you like your job. I have been surprised at times what I have been able to get by just asking.

Come to China. Lots of different types of climbing, beautiful women, it's cheap here, and you'll be able to tell your kids you saw all the amazing things China HAD to offer before the black smoke the factories are pumping out killed it all. Plus with an engineering degree, and the fact that your white, you could land a high paying job pretty easily here. Either way, you gotta get out of that office! If you do make it to China you'll have to PM me. We're developing a bunch of Sandstone cliffs and what have ya out here in Yunnan. We'd love to start seeing more climbers make it out this way. Either way, be safe.

My advice is to listen to whatever Mark Webster tells you to do, then do the opposite.

Frieh probably has good advice. Seems like he does pretty well and gets out to climb a shit ton.

Personally, I felt the desk jockey workaholic lifestyle creeping up on me and I busted my ass for three years sacrificing a lot of climbing and fun to get into another line of work which I love and offers much more time off. Its going to start paying off in the next couple months with a killer schedule and good pay.

So....I bought an around the world ticket and spent a year traveling, mostly in Southeast Asia. The dollar was strong and the asian currencies were really low, so I was able to have an amazing trip for about $16,000 for the whole year, including plenty of air travel. I had planned to connect with friends for different parts of the trip but most bailed. They fell into two camps: those with enough money but no time, and those that felt like they couldn't quit their jobs because they didn't have enough money. Traveling alone actually ended up being better because it's easier to meet the locals that way.

$43/day budget is doable, but perhaps unenjoyable allin, in this day in age. Including transport it'll be mostly crappy transport, lodging and not much booze. The worlds changed and places aren't nearly as cheap as they were. And that was before the $ went down the shitter.

STILL WORTH IT! GO! GO NOW!

i recently spent two months in southern thailand on $7 a day. i ate plenty, climbed every day and had a motorcycle for my whole trip. i had money to pay boatmen to drop me off at random limestone karsts so i could dws... i networked my ass off the first 2 weeks so i ended up living with locals for free, while helping around the house. being able to speak some thai helped out immensly- i had more dinner offers than i knew what to do with! go.

So....I bought an around the world ticket and spent a year traveling, mostly in Southeast Asia. The dollar was strong and the asian currencies were really low, so I was able to have an amazing trip for about $16,000 for the whole year, including plenty of air travel. I had planned to connect with friends for different parts of the trip but most bailed. They fell into two camps: those with enough money but no time, and those that felt like they couldn't quit their jobs because they didn't have enough money. Traveling alone actually ended up being better because it's easier to meet the locals that way.

$43/day budget is doable, but perhaps unenjoyable allin, in this day in age. Including transport it'll be mostly crappy transport, lodging and not much booze. The worlds changed and places aren't nearly as cheap as they were. And that was before the $ went down the shitter.

STILL WORTH IT! GO! GO NOW!

i recently spent two months in southern thailand on $7 a day. i ate plenty, climbed every day and had a motorcycle for my whole trip. i had money to pay boatmen to drop me off at random limestone karsts so i could dws... i networked my ass off the first 2 weeks so i ended up living with locals for free, while helping around the house. being able to speak some thai helped out immensly- i had more dinner offers than i knew what to do with! go.

After whipping out the calculator, I think the OP was including his airline ticket in his total amount. I don't think you were, unless you got down to Asia for about 100$ and lived on like 4 dollars a day.

But really I am just insanely jealous. I love SE Asia.

Edited by summitchaserCJB

[quote=ivan

teaching in general might be a good occupation for you - plenty of breaks, if nothing else :)

Teaching is a great option. I'm finishing up a 30 year career this spring, and have been able to have time off for raising kids (read: in addition to "raising", climbing with, biking with, hiking with, even road tripping with, etc). And all the while, at work, teaching mathematics, including calculus which has remarkable metaphoric similarities to climbing--I even rate problems 5.9, 5.11, etc. It's been a great deal.

On another note, I personally don't agree with quitting your job and getting unemployment. It's really for people who are in a fix and need it. Work and save for your time off. That's the right way to do this life. Of course that's my opinion, and others will disagree. Do what you know to be right, but find a way to get out there and live fully.

Sheesh. Another over educated desk jockey wondering about what to do with my life question. Guess I'll ask folks on the internet what to do. Your 25 and still wet behind the ears. Quit and let some other bloke have your job. Get a job pounding nails or drive a truck for a while. Life is what you make it.

• 9 months later...

Accountability: 10 months later.

Today, the email went out. I gave them 6 weeks notice and cited a valid excuse of being invited back for volunteer duty on Denali as a great reason to leave. Everyone is thoroughly supportive. I've thought about it a lot more. I have a better plan on what I want to do and why. I'm in much better financial shape. I've planned appropriately for a long period of time. I'm leaving my projects in great shape, I've got time to hand them off responsibly. My employer loves me and would have me back in a minute, but completely understands that I need to do this in my life. I'm leaving a great team I've learned a ton from, and a great city full of amazing friends.

10 months ago I was angry and frustrated, leaving for the wrong reasons at the wrong time. Now- opportunity knocks, and it's time to answer. Let the baggage go, and get that feeling to stick.