Sportiva Glacier Evo rubbing with crampons on?

I've got a pair of the aforementioned boots and they fit wonderfully, except with crampons. The Grivel G12 crampons I've got dig into the heel and are quite uncomfortable after a half day of use. Anyone else have this problem and perhaps a fix? I wear superfeet insoles with the boots fyi. Would a cobbler be able to make the heel more rigid?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its largely a function of the rear bail and the height of the plastic adjuster. I have a pair of standard Glaciers and I had to try a number of different crampons before I found a pair that fit the heel correctly. I currently use a pair of Camp Ice Riders and the adjuster sits low enough that it does not dig in.

Here is a link to just the rear bail. I don't know if its compatible with the G12 but it is worth a try. There are a few members here that mix and match their crampons with good results.

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/crampons/automatic-heel-bail-1124.asp

Soft boots..Sportiva Trangos for me, don't like some of the rear levers. BD and Grivels are some of the better rear levers to negate the issue so if you are still having problems likely the Petzl side lock/ Spirlock is one of the few answers that will help.