[TR] yosylum - warshington’s harry coloumn – s farce 4/2/2010

ivan

Trip: yosylum - warshington’s harry coloumn – s farce

Date: 4/2/2010

Trip Report:

every frak’n year the same fawk’n thing – spring break and the storm gods walking the beat along the whole of the wet coast – what’s a latte-nigga 2 do?

wing n’ a prayer planning – a meth-powered surge to the valley on a late friday night, a quick jaunt up royal arches n’ 2 days on the most popular wall-route in the valley ‘fore the frost-giants bring the smack-down and the whole damned 24 hr drive redeemed!

man plans, dog laughs – no doubt why i’ve always been in the habit of kicking sleeping dogs

the arches plan, tenous at best, by the wayside when the seattle-based member of the 2-man mind-show needed to actually rest after raping altar-boys all day – 5 a.m. launch from stump-towne still, and w/ the chances of sun in the ‘simite gone for that day, a decision to make the needed visit to sonoma that evening instead of at the end of the trip

sweet jesus, if you’re a hater of the tvastarkatena life-form, swoon in sorrow as there sure are a fuck-ton of those fuckers in the greater bay-region – a nuetron bomb alone would be needed to stem that savage breed, it’s matriarch in particuliar!

up at 3 a.m. in a time-stupor in sonoma, passed out cold in the back of tvash’s ride for a few hours after, then waked to bake in the glowing ember of soul-enhancing sun on sunday – the mtn stage to oaks flat pounded out at high speeds, we made our amends w/ the gate keepers n’ roared into the valley, pat playing the part of a google-eyed goddamn camera-equipped tourist as i lead-footed us up the road to get the Strange Tripe off the ground

a refresher, perhaps – washington’s proud litho-tacular leering hardon from the shoulder of halfdome (last summer) – mideast crisis, my only other experience on this wall, the main route in the center, but the s side somewhere on the left (dinner ledge out of site though i reckon?)

YosSummer2009_119.jpg

the walk up the base of the column just keeps getting easier – stay the fuck off the talus and make-ready for the tree-aid-step – did i mention the soul-joy that leeched into me as we managed this maligned approach in kalifornia-kit, white shorts, kap n’ t-shirt?! :)

i did the 1st 2 pitches off the ground, after buzzing about the smallish step-off platform in an adrenaline frenzy, promptly leaving my aid-shoes n’ haul-straps behind, the appearance of another party below, predicatable on a girlfriend wall-route, no doubt a contributor

depsite the warnings, i found hauling to p1 top not too bad, and an easy lugging of the pig across the small ledge to the base of 2

the artist as a young man on p2 – dmm offsets rawwwwk here!

4484607939_2609e44b0a.jpg

tvash needed to earn his keep, and for his sins he was given p3, which made him penitent enough

once at dinner ledge our sleep-mates from the night turned out to be 2 valley-cops (fawwwwwwwwwwwwwwk!) – they were kewl enough for being haters of the high-life though – husband-cop was a valley hardman for sure, and as fast as he was, it made sense to let him pass – we’d planned on fixing to the top of 5, as had they, and i set out behind wife-cop as she cleaned – this was her 1st aid-wall sorta expereince though, and she had the predicatable epic at the lip of the kor roof as i sat perpetually a bolt below her, trying not to laugh at the oddity of having foreign booty at eye-level, many hundreds of feet above terra firma :)

4484607873_3bab90ecf1.jpg

due to the understandable delay of a newbie’s nightmare, both our teams had to settle for fixing from the top of p4 - the scene at dinner ledge wasn’t quite what i was hoping as all the meat-puppets on the ledge were passed out by moon-up as i was just starting to tie the thing on tight, but what can ya do? i settled for swooning at the luna-brightened brilliance of glacier point by my lonesome, then later the seismic-snooring of tvash and the ring-tailed pole-cat ramblings over the sleeping rangers

monday mornign and it was on, albeit more slowly for us as we needed to wait for the ranger-couple to reach the p4 anchor on our fixed line ‘fore we chased after them – tvash started early though as he still had to clean the fixed climb line and i searched for some privacy round the corner, where i was rewarded by the discovery of booty gear, a nut and a sky-hook

soon enough it was time for me, and off i went – holy shit, my first trip w/ a 11 mil static line!!! better than sex!!!

4484607813_9d217a0889.jpg

the sun was out and it was a joy to dangle in the still air in so alien a location and wait for the traffic to clear

4485258634_e75c905bd6.jpg

4485259018_cc13374e82.jpg

doesn’t this kinda shit make you feel like an astronaut? :)

4485259134_dc4320fa5e.jpg

4484608295_87b929291c.jpg

me waiting for the p4 anchor to clear while tvash takes pix of the far-off capitan

4485259314_a26053b012.jpg

eventually the ranger folk cleared out of p5 and i set out, sitting for a good long while at the pendy-point – pat followed

[video:youtube]

pat on the lower-out

4485258494_e33b3ff389.jpg

didn’t leave enough memory for the full lower off

[video:youtube]

at the end of the roof traverse on p6

upload4.jpg

p6 went smooth enough, though the 5.7 bit left me a bit ruffled at the end – tvash grumbled about our hammer-less cleaning plan as i short-fixed up p7

at the p7 top it was obvious the jig was up – we’d been slowed by the numerous issues attending a popular route and the wind had returned with a vengeance – every stitch of clothing i had was on, and the promised evening storm was clearly in the process of proving itself – we’d planned on rapping from dinner ledge, and the time had come to get back there, lest poor pat be once more forced to contend with a valley “awkward 5.8” that tears apart the timorous, given my own fatigue and desire to sit n’ chain-smoke for a spell

nice view of the gloaming half-dome on the way down

4484681015_7fe948998c.jpg

a comedy of errors on the ensuing retreat – avoid the temptation to double rap from dinner ledge to the top of p1 as a rope-thin crack eats the bottom rope and makes for a disastrous pull – luckily we could wait for the america-fuck-yeah team to fix our fuck-up while we marveled at a million ants and felt nervous about the upcoming brawl – we’d have had to jug the stuck line come night if they’ed dissappeared

down on the ground the good lord made his light shine, shine, shine! – wine n’ laughs n’ lurching back to the ‘lot – the round-world rudely raped w/ burgundy n’ camels n’ catcalls at tourists bus-bound n’ blocking the way to dump the plastic-cased turds – tvash defers the women-folk calls to me – the shift to camp 4 (my first!) – the pass-out of pat on the stony ground – the midnight roar of rain and tumult and the end of our valley dreams for now

packing in the pouring rain and the end, so sad, after only 2 days – in the grip of the grim nw again though, 2 days of triumph, of sun, of sweet life, who can complain? we salved our wounded souls w/ a trip to san francisco, w/ cathedral-climbing n’ petty larceny n’ family relations, n’ finally a clockwork-orange raging drive back home through the bay-area w/ its warm sunshine, glorious green mtn-sides n’ endless vistas of windmills!

4485258922_5fc2f8a8c5.jpg

we shall return :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

swell! sucks about the cops i woulda flipped my shit if they hinderd my "big all experince"... next time from dinner do skull queen or souther man, youll enjoy them alot more, the aid being a bit more enetertaining. and less of a chance of having a female cops ass in your face. :tup::brew:

word. was my boy's first bigwall though so thought we should do the famous moderate since i hadn't done it and it sure seeeeeemed off-season. i wanna do something on the capitan next time i go back - actually i just wanna live down there for a spring/summer :)