west side cascades guides from late 70's question

genepires

So I was talking to a old timer at work and he was telling me stories of back in the day, late 70 and early 80's, in which he would very often into a guy in the hills who was a guide. This mystery man had a pony tail but he forgot the name. I ran through names that I had read about. Jim Wickwire rang a bell with him but not sure. Anyone know if Wickwire sported a pony tail back in the late 70's? Or any other prominent guides from our area from that era?

thanks

Edited by genepires

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if Wickwire sported a pony tail back in the late 70's?

Stupid question of the day. Wickwire is a ramrod straight lawyer from Kittitas County. His wife wore dresses every day, and never learned to drive

Or any other prominent guides from our area from that era?

You are actually asking if any guides had a pony tail in the seventies? It was the seventies for gawds sake. Ever seen a picture of the Allman Brothers Band? Everyone looked like that

Alan was way too straight cut for a pony tail. Plus I think he was mostly a AAI company man. The guy I am looking for a rainier guy who did lots of solo/side work. Maybe pirate work as no one was looking at them back in those days.

Yeah, I know this is a futile attempt. Just trying to help out a old cool guy.

And yes, I have never seen a photo of Wickwire or the allman brothers. Thanks Mark for the 70's education.

It might have been the late, great Dave Stutzman who worked with North Cascades Alpine School (now AAI) at least in the early 1980's if not before. I worked with him for a year with Donini's Leavenworth Alpine Guides before he died in an avalanche in Montana in 1983. He was a superb climber and a genuine wildman. As a minimalist, he used to solo some pretty outrageous stuff wearing nothing but the clothes on his back (if even that) and often barefoot.

This thread at SuperTopo may be a better choice for this question than CC. Reilly Moss, Dave Davis, Jim Donini and Don Harder are all denizens of ST. On the CC side, you could try PM'ing Mr Mo or Monty Piton.

Who ever this may be it does not sound like Cal, I don't think he ever had a ponytail. Dave Anderson was more of a mop top. Tvash is friends with Brooks, you could ask him