Boots for Longs Peak in Late May

Wesdoug

I love scarpa’s but I think I’m about to give kayland a shot. The Scarpa I think I would have gone with would have been the orange Triolet but I’m leaning toward the kayland Apex XT or MXT. Here is my issue – the Apex looks like it will be great for keeping my feet warm and dry but they are rated as VERY rigid. Because I don’t plan or have any desire to climb vertical ice I don’t know that I need this. Also, the rigidity may make them not so great on an approach if I were trying to use one boot. My concern with the MXT is warmth and waterproof-ness. It looks like the lowes average temps for the area are about 30 degrees in May but I don’t know if that’s taken from Estes Park or on the peak – My guess is Estes Park. It seems the MXT would be the more versatile boot but I don’t want my toes to freeze (I’m somewhat cold natured) at the expense of owning a more versatile boot. Thoughts out there on these two boots?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

With my experience a lighter less rigid boot will be your best bet. I have climbed longs many times in late may and early June and the conditions are pretty tame. For the most part the snow is all gone for the 4 mile approach and when I have descended the keyhole route I have found it to be mostly dry. My boot of choice has been the La Sportiva Trango Evo which is slightly rigid but also pretty light. I find that this boot is too rigid for the death march on the way out and bring a running shoe which is much more comfortable I also have descended the entire keyhole route in a running shoe in early June and I have had no problem So with all this in mind I believe that the lighter MXT would be your best bet and it also has a lot more applications as a hiking boot.