Ski Mt Adams

mzvarner

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people boot it up from just above the Lunch Counter, with their boards on their packs. More likely you'll need regular crampons for your boots as you head up in the a.m. Plan it so you have as much sweet corn as possible, at least down from Pikers Peak.

Edit to add: Like with most of the volcanoes and big mountains, people use a combo of skinning on the lower angled slopes, and booting it up on the steeper--whatever is most efficient. A good site for info is Amar's http://www.skimountaineer.com/

Edited by pindude

I consider skiing the SW chutes on the decent. It is especially rewarding in comparison. BTW if your fitness is good, camp at the car and do it in a day and save carrying all that weight. As for crampons, that all depends on the weather/snow conditions. I would throw a light weight pair of aluminum ones in the pack to be safe and I always carry my ski crampons. They hardly add any weight.

I consider skiing the SW chutes on the decent. It is especially rewarding in comparison. BTW if your fitness is good, camp at the car and do it in a day and save carrying all that weight. As for crampons, that all depends on the weather/snow conditions. I would throw a light weight pair of aluminum ones in the pack to be safe and I always carry my ski crampons. They hardly add any weight.

+1. If you want to ski the SW Chutes (much better line) it is more convenient to do it in one day from the car, so you don't have to return to your campsite/gear at the lunch counter.

pretty sure these guys didn't see what you were actually asking. Why would you ever want to boot pack? bring the ski crampons, not much extra weight super efficent and will get you to the top. have a blast bro. I am going to try and get on some ski descents this spring too.

I think I read correctly what he was asking and since I have been up there a few times offered some additional advice based on my past experiences. If I would have told him that all he needed was ski crampons and it turned out to be bullet proof ice than that would be very bad advice. I also offered an alternative ski descent that the original poster may not have been aware of.

Why would you ever want to boot pack?

Answer: Because you have to.

I've been up that side of Adams several times. Most skiers ski it in the spring. South facing slopes turn to corn faster than northern ones, and booting the climb is the common ascent method. Every time I've been there there was a boot track up the ascent route.

In conditions like that ski crampons have little value. Regular crampons let you ascend early in the morning when the snow is harder. Early starts are a good since you ski earlier in the day. If you start late more snow turns to slush by the time you're actually skiing down.

ilookeddown has two other good points.

Hauling camping equipment up the hill isn't necesary. Just car camp and do it in a day. Unless you really want to tent camp higher on the mountain that is.

Since the common ascent route gets booted so much it tends to be chopped up. The SW Chutes are a lot better. More difficult skiing, but they ain't super exterme. Make sure you know when to cut to skiers left to regain the ascent trail.

• 2 weeks later...