[TR] Jefferson - Jefferson Park Glacier 3/27/2010

LeTiger

Trip: Jefferson - Jefferson Park Glacier

Date: 3/27/2010

Trip Report:

Took a try at Jefferson yesterday/last night,

We (Tworedshoes, and I) left forest grove yesterday at 12:00, and arrived at the end of the road around 2:45, were geared up and were heading up the road at the snowblock by 3:30. Weather was amazing (kicking myself, forgot the camera back in the grove) and fully clear all day.

Some very nice skiier's had already broken 4 miles of trail, and we made it to PCT, and then the right turn up the ride up to Jefferson Park glacier by 7~ish. since the skiier's only went 4 miles in, we ended up breaking the last 3~ miles up the trail and ridgeline in about 3 feet of powder, and when we broke on top, were running about an hour behind schedule.

Above treeline the weather forecast was accurate, and we were soon buffeted with 30mph winds as predicted. We hadn't counted on breaking that much powder up the ridgeline, and with the winds and incoming snow forecast, decided to turn back about 1/2 mile from the bottom of the Jefferson Park glacier.

In total, 6.5 hours up, 4 down, and a pretty solid snowshoe trail now up to where the snow finally firms up...

Just wanted to post in case anyone was giving Jefferson a try and wanted a pre-broken path up most of it. (although the weather forecast for tonight might make that trail a VERY short window)

Reflections:

If done again in March (or winter for that matter) I would definitely make it a 2 night trip, and probably bring an AT setup if the snow was similar to how we found it. The stream at the bench was accessible for water, but that could change depending on recent snow pack, so a stove would be mandatory as well.

Gear Notes:

SNOWSHOES/SKI's!!! (unless you feel like post-holing for 6 miles)

Ice screws: 3x 22cm

3 pickets

2 tools per-person

2 prussiks

60m 8.6 rope

10 carabiners

harnesses... etc..

Approach Notes:

Road is clear til about 1/2 mile from the Trailhead, take the left at White River road and head as far as you can. High clearance vehicle & chains highly reccomended

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately not :(

We were already an hour out before I had realized I left my camera at home.

Will try to get pictures next time I head up, for sure.

(might be a little later this year, as I will be climbing Adams next weekend, and had a one-shot opportunity on Jefferson as far as I know...)

Letiger,

What route on adams, southside? do you have any beta on the approach? (road snow levels?)

cheers, good go of jefferson for sure. best to call it than find yourself up the creek, or mountain, without what you need.

Haven't decided as of yet, but most likely Southside. Waiting to see what the weather does, (as always)

I don't have any beta on it either, (sorry!) It will be my first climb of Adams, and I'm doing it with a class, so my guess is that the route will be tailored to everyone's median experience levels, and we'll get done what we can :)

Bummer about the dump of snow though! Guess that wipes out possibility of using that path... I was hoping there would be at least a 2 day window, but I guess that's what you get on Jefferson... it being winter and all...