Black Diamond Couloir Harness?

Abucks17

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The arcteryx R300 weighs the same and has none of the sketch factor.

Holy shite! 145 buckaroos!! Arc'T stuff is nice, so I'm suure it's worth it, but sheesh...

Anyway, what's sketch about the BD harness? I'm guessing it's not as comfy to hang in, but looks like a great upgrade to the Alpine Bod.

Nothing "sketch" about anything from BD including the Couloir Harness.

"Packable to the size of a soup can that easily stows away in a jacket pocket, the superlight Couloir harness is designed to be the essential skiing and mountaineering harness. Quick-release leg loops allow fast and easy changes while wearing skis or crampons, and low-profile webbing construction allows it to wear comfortably under packs or over clothing. Two webbing gear loops, four Ice Clipper slots and a belay and haul loop complete the package."

Here is another good lwt harness that doesn't cost $145.

Petzl Hirundos Harness:

•Frame Construction with breathable mesh evenly distributes pressure.

•Woven polyester mesh on the inside of the harness wicks moisture for improved comfort and speeds drying.

•Perforated closed cell foam on waistbelt and leg loops for breathability.

•DoubleBack buckle is pre-threaded and adjusts quickly with a single pull.

•Green belay loop helps users identify proper tie-in / attachment point.

•Reinforced tie-in points for increased durability in this high-wear area.

•Elasticated leg loops have a large range of expansion for correct fit.

•Rigid, inclined 3D front equipment loops; flexible rear loops.

•Detachable elastic leg loop straps.

•Sizes: XS, S, M, L

•Weight: 270g, 280g, 300g, 315g

•Colour: orange/silver

•CE, EN 12277 type C, UIAA 105

•3-year guarantee

I looked at one of those in a shop the other day. It looks quite applicable for it's intended purpose and I don't think it's sketchy at all. The webbing is still fatter than on my CAMP Air CR, let alone my ALP 95 harness. I'd say safety is not an issue at all with the harness, hanging comfort will be; but it's not a harness to take somewhere you will hang much unless it's in a crevasse. I guess that will be your motivation to prussic faster.

It does look like an good upgrade to the Alpine Bod. Much lighter, still adjustable, gear loop set-up looks pack friendly. The harness looks like it will be fairly comfortable under a pack. The belay loop is there, but if you don't want it you can just cut it off. About what mountaineering harness should be.