[TR] North Face, Mt. Buckner (ski descent) - 3/24/2010

Steph_Abegg

Trip: North Face, Mt. Buckner (ski descent) -

Date: 3/23-4/2010

Trip Report:

On March 23-24, I joined Jason Hummel and Kyle Miller on a climb of the North Face of Mount Buckner. They skied/snowboarded (first snowboard descent?) the 40-50° North Face, while I backed down the route vowing that someday I would buy some skis.

(Jason will be posting a TR soon as well, with lots of great photos, probably with some good ones of their descent down the North Face.)

The trip took us 2 days. Day 1 involved skinning/snowshoeing into Boston Basin, and getting to Boston Glacier via the Sharkfin Col (which involved a single-rope rappel to get below the bergschrund on the other side). Jason almost fell in a crevasse on the Boston Glacier before we set up basecamp with a great view of the North Face of Mt. Buckner. Day 2 involved climbing/descending the North Face of Mt. Buckner and then packing up camp and skiing/snowshoeing back to the car. On the way out, we chose to use the col just south of Boston Peak to get back into Boston Basin.

As usual, I've posted a full trip report with lots of photos on my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/stephabegg/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/buckner

Here are some photos:

IMG_8072route.jpgIMG_8030_f.jpgDSC4625.jpgIMG_8162bw_f.jpgIMG_8317-25merge_f.jpgIMG_8344-5pano_f.jpg

Again, my full TR is on my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/stephabegg/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/buckner

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes!! Was there any indication that Jason was on a bridge before it failed, or was he caught completely off guard? At first I didn't see that he had a rope on . . . wow.

Yes, we fortunately were roped up, as even though Jason did not fall in it helped give the tension needed to roll out of the stem position. A good reminder that it's a good idea to rope up in the early season when the bridges are unconsolidated and not readily apparent! There was very little indication that the crevasse was there, although Jason mentioned just as he punched through he noticed a tiny shadow of weakness just below on the slope. Some of the bridges can be thin this time of year if they form during wind loading episodes......

-Steph

• 2 weeks later...

Engaging images as always! Your first time shooting skiers? The rapid repeat shots (Kyle dropping) are a lot of fun to look at. How many times do you have to walk down the mountain before you buy proper descent gear? For reasonable people, it's fewer than 3. Get some skis and start huckin!

Edited by penoyar

How many times do you have to walk down the mountain before you buy proper descent gear? For reasonable people, it's fewer than 3. Get some skis and start huckin!

New skis are on the list right after

1. buy a lottery ticket.

2. set of ice tools (hope to find them used).

3. new tent

4. new camera lens.

5. buy another lottery ticket.

6. skis....