little si monday

fivetenA

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are trolling for sensational climbing accident news this is not the place to look. If you are a concerned non-media citizen thanks for the concern. Either way, call the local sheriff's office and ask them your question. Cc.com is a climber community website. Sometimes information about accidents will get posted on the site, but it is often incomplete and innacurate, is always unofficial, and may or may not be corrected later when more information comes out. Moderators can comment more officially on this.

I'm curious about the accident too. I assume that if it was someone I know I would have heard about it, but I'd like to know what happened. That doesn't make me a troll does it?

Didn't mean to offend y'all. Post deleted. Just trying to discourage the ambulance chasers from using this site as a source of gory details. Pretty much everyone who climbs at Little Si falls on every outing while working one route or another, so the opening post sounded like one from a non-climber. Moreover, the fact that your first and only post on cc.com was an accident inquiry also suggested a media troll. Perhaps I was too quick to judge. Don't get turned off cc.com by me. Go to spray and let others do that for you. Better yet, post some TRs and share the stoke.

Anyway, I don't know anything about an accident. Maybe someone who does will decide to post something.

A good friend of mine was the belayer, and I am also friends with the climber. I'll just call them "B" for Belayer, and "L" for, um, cLimber. L was about 35 feet up Rainy Day Woman (5.12a) on World Wall I, and biffed. B is not sure why so much rope played out, but L grounded. He was shaken up, but ultimately he walked out of the hospital that night. I saw him Friday and he looks fine - doesn't have a scratch on him.

A freakin' miracle is how B put it.

- rob

• 4 weeks later...
A good friend of mine was the belayer, and I am also friends with the climber. I'll just call them "B" for Belayer, and "L" for, um, cLimber. L was about 35 feet up Rainy Day Woman (5.12a) on World Wall I, and biffed. B is not sure why so much rope played out, but L grounded. He was shaken up, but ultimately he walked out of the hospital that night. I saw him Friday and he looks fine - doesn't have a scratch on him.

A freakin' miracle is how B put it.

- rob

Maybe he fell after just above the ledge, before clipping the first bolt off the ledge? If there was a little extra rope out, there's definitely ground-fall potential. I always thought I would just land on the ledge and stop...

Rad might have been a little over zealous, but he's not a dick. We've had our share of media & accident ghouls visit and stay a little too long, but that's usually a higher profile accident. Its not uncommon to have someone involved, as either victim, partner, or rescuer chime in with something firsthand, which is the case with this one.

I think the Mt Hood debacle a few years ago put a bunch of folks on their guard, but this is not necessarily an inappropriate place to look for more information, especially if you have some connection to the incident.

thanks all

Off White - moderator