rehash of the pnw '4 season' tent

Water

what were your last two tents?

I used a squall 2 on the AT for a number of months...and have a double-rainbow for summer backpacking and good conditions in the shoulder seasons. my fiance used a contrail before I joined her.

both were great for the AT.

However this past summer, after 4-5 days straight of rain on the North Boundary Trail up along mt robson park/jasper... i have to say a negative on the silnylon. Perhaps the 4oz liner would have helped if I had bought that, but unless you can get good airflow with the silnylon, it will get a good amount of condensation, and eventually it will start misting onto you with each heavy-rain drop that hits the tent. This is fine on short trips but 40miles from the nearest trailhead and the only form of shelter is misting your sleeping bags, no thanks. Other factor is that as it gets damp and cold, it sags. it just never strikes me as a good material for alpine-unless as a summer tarp.

on an intuitive level the scarp2 doesn't seem like a good shape. I could see it getting torn up in serious wind. I'm sure mr shires would defend the tent vigorously, and I don't blame him, but my 2cents comes as someone who's spent ~$700 satisfied dollars on his tents.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilleberg Akto, and big agnes seedhouse SL2,

Even though the Akto is a one person tent, I cut pads

to fit the whole bottom of the tent and the wife and

I can fit in for a night or two. Can't beat it for us,

but not roomy enough unless your a couple, maybe two

small guys?

I have not used any of the henry shire tents,

there is a price to pay for being

really lightweight,, at a good size. Maybe

it would have done better with the lining?

Realistically, when going out on purpose in really

bad weather a more heavy, maybe less roomy tent would

be the better choice?

So on second thought, this could work for some mountaineering,

but not when expecting the worst weather.

I have found Sil nylon to be really strong, any

tears? Scarp2 tent is big, I think the guys over 6

feet could use it and have a light tent.

Thanks for the real life report.

By the way I was out in the seedhouse 2 for a heavy overnight

rain and slowly we got soaked the next day. The tent is small and the sleeping bags were against the sides and slowly the water seeped in and got in when we moved in and out of the tent. Also our clothes brought in the water and so on. I have found in general that the larger the tent the dryer, as you can keep clothing and gear and sleeping bags from the walls. I don't fault the tent, it is what it is , a light weight tent , small with the thin strong material. I would not want to be in any kind of light tent like this for long time in bad weather. The Akto would be a better choice, but even smaller. I would trust the Seedhouse in a pretty good storm, but not full on winter storm. It is what it is.

Edited by DanO

I'll have to put in a vote for the Integral MK1XL. I flat out love mine. It's going on 7 (I think?) seasons now and I've used it in every type of weather imaginable. The type of fabric they use (same as the "Toddtex" Bibler tents have) is tough and keeps the tents quite warm. It sets up very quickly. In bad weather i just get inside it and assemble it from within. All and all it is among the best pieces of outdoor gear I've owned.