[TR] Mt. Baker - Coleman/Deming Glacier 3/20/2010

Ryan Canfield

Trip: Mt. Baker - Coleman/Deming Glacier

Date: 3/20/2010

Trip Report:

This trip happened on March 20th of 2010. Climbers are Ryan Canfield (me), Khartoum Wood, and Nick Maddox (from TurnsAllYear) Woke up at the car at around midnight - left around 12:45am

Hit the Summit around 9am. Constant, High winds in excess of 60mph+ on the summit. I've never seen such powerful winds on Baker.

I believe we were the first to reach the summit that day.

A few well-covered crevasses but other than that - the Coleman Glacier is in good shape!

Winds increased even more as we descended and this caused many other people to turn back (smart move)...

Got a little lost in the woods on the way back down but eventually found our way out and back to the car at 4:45pm.

Longggg day and very tiring but well worth it =) Overall, a great day to be in the mountains!

IMG_0251.jpg

baker_3-20-2010_162.JPG

baker_3-20-2010_059.JPG

baker_3-20-2010_128.JPG

IMG_02892.jpg

baker_3-20-2010_1111151.JPG

[video:youtube]

Gear Notes:

Crampons, Ice Axe, Warm Clothes - We left rope and lots of gear at the car to go light.

Approach Notes:

Summer Trail was well traveled. Drove about 1 mile from the end of the road - a high clearance and/or off road vehicle with chains could make it all the way. Approach Skis or Snowshoes required.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic