[TR] Colchuck + Dragontail - NBC & TC opt. 3 3/19/2010

danhelmstadter

Trip: Colchuck + Dragontail - NBC & TC opt. 3

Date: 3/19-20/2010

Trip Report:

I hate to clutter this forum with a double tr - but I got a few pics and I like to write - so what the hell.

John's TR, comments should be posted there:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=948170

The road was gated at Icicle Creek, and I started hikeing mid morning, the first couple miles of the road had melted out to dirt.

8 miles after setting out - I reached the scenic Colchuck Lake, and set up a little bivy site on a sunny picturesk shore. Then skinned up towrds Colchuck Glacier to scout out some of the N/NE faceing lines off Colchuck. The snow up to the moraine was a dissapointment -- crusty with patches of hard windboard. The NE couloir looked as though it was quite dirty and scoured by avalanches - the North Butress Couloir - a little less so. As I approached the base, I noticed a skiier had very recently booted up the aprun - but turned around and skiied down before entering the couloir. Conditions were chunky slabby powder with buffs of hard wind pack or hardened runnel remenants -- not ideal conditions - but not super scary either.

Looking down the NBC

2236695500103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

View of Stuart from the Notch at the top of NBC

2377440480103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

The ski down was as expected -- slow controlled turns (maybe not that pretty - but safe). Apparently there is a ski route from the summit of Colchuck to the entrance of the NBC, I did not know this at the time - and it did not appear obvious from the col, definetly a route I'd go back to -- especially with better conditions.

I settled into my solitary camp, watching and hearing many people cross the lake to set up camp in the woods at the south end. I had plenty of time to sleep - but sleep was plauged by my leaky air mattress that required re-inflation every few hours... I purposely slept in to about 9:30 - so that I would drop into the Triple Couloirs late in the day -- so as not to knock down sluffs/chunks on any climbers.

I made my way up assgaurd pass, feeling slower than usual since I was toteing a 60 meter rope, plenty of pro, and two axes. The snow on the way up was pretty crappy and wind hammered. I met Jason and Tim at the top of the pass -- and they gave me the low down about the upper crux and snow conditions - which were apparently not ideal... and apparently deteriorated with elevation loss.. (Thanks for the beta fellas!)

Several other climbers passed me on their way down, again offering useful info (thanks!). On the summit I met Will and John! they were going to ski it too! and there were apparently climbers still in route with skis and intentions to ski it - what are the chances? seems funny that the route was only skiied once years ago, and now, now there were many people attempting to ski it -- in less than ideal conditions? so it is.

I was super stoked to meet John and Will up there - them being super storng climbers and skiiers - and having climbed the route - helped to ease the anxiety associated with a pre-extreme ski a little. They also had apparently found way that would require much less rapping/anchor makeing.

The first few turns were the scariest for me -- there was an intimidateing roll over visible from the couloir entrance that disappeared into oblivion 30 feet down or so, turns were a little wierd with my heavier than normal pack, but the snow in that upper couloir was quite good, and I felt solid.

After weighing rap anchor options -- we settled on a few pieces of rock pro - which John placed. We coupled my 60m with Wills 30m and it proved to me more than sufficiant for the steep rock step.

The Northwest Face section held variable bumpyish snow, but still not all that bad, and it was great to ski in warm sunshine. The entrance to the Hidden couloir was steep and held variable snow -- conservative skiing was important. The turns were super exposed to the last one -- as there is a 60' ciff at the bottom of the couloir that has to be skirted around.

Thanks for the incredible ski experience John and Will!

Here are some random video clips. Fish eye lense distorts the steepness a little -- much of this shot was pretty steep.

[video:youtube]

Will below2108118030103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

Will Rapping

2962383110103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

John Ripping

2630016820103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

Will feeling the grove

2826247720103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

halfway down the hidden couloir

2185635040103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

steep to the end

2479393960103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

the dragon has been slayed

2462401680103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by danhelmstadter

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work Dan!! Tim and I were probably a bit pessimistic on our ski condition assessment, not knowing that we were talking to DAN THE MAN till the end of our conversation. I have to remember that just because I would be terrified skiing a line, doesn't mean someone else couldn't have a fun time.

. . .Reminds me of the time I tried to tell Alan Kearney how brushy the Crescent Creek climbers path was when I ran into him in Goodell Creek. My climbing partner remarked after we had hiked past him a ways. . ."Uh, you know that was Alan Kearney, right?" D'OH!

Thanks for the photos and video! Good times . . .