Wild Things Guide Pack/etc.

BigSky

Looking for first hand experience with the WT Guide Pack. Most interested in fit/features/workmanship on the current model.

Also interested in similar technical packs...I've pretty well looked over CCW, CiloGear and there's plenty to like. I'm potentially interested in Crux, Podsacs, or others I'm missing; just want to get a feel for what else is out there in the category.

My requirements are:

-- 25-40L

-- under 2lbs. stripped or otherwise

-- removable or VERY low profile hipbelt

-- removable back pad/bivy pad/stay

-- under $200

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After doing my own search for something similar having already tried the CCW and WTs Guide size packs and finding both lacking for my own use. I ended up with custom...now semi production CCW. And really like the end results and even the price @ bewteen $120 to $140. depending on the options you order. Worth a phone call to check it out.

Arcteryx has a couple of models worth looking at as well.

agf.sized.jpg

I have been using Montbell Balance Light 40 and am very happy with it. 2lb 5oz from the factory w/o stripping, fully functional and unobtrusive, and $69.

I used to fall into the "more expensive ought to be better by some magic" trap. Then recently needed a lightweight pack and went to ProMountain to get the BD 40. Jim mentioned Montbell and after 2 weeks of comparing BD, Cilo and Montbell the latter won hands down. I did all the research and found not a single property that would be worth extra $200 - $600 - $900. Well, except for the white colour of course ;)

Arcteryx Cierzo is really worth looking at as well for $90 @ 35 to 40L and 20oz.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Packs/Cierzo-35

One I found today that I really like as well but tiny and even more simple that the others we are talking about was $30. Of all things, the REI Flash 18L @ 10oz. If it is a size you can use it should be a great climbing sac for leading. And it even fits me!

http://www.rei.com/product/778466?cm_mmc=cse_bizrate-_-datafeed-_-product-_-778466&mr:referralID=744f85b5-34b1-11df-8214-000423bb4e95

On ice cragging trips I've been tossing my dyneema GoLite Ion in an approach sack and it's worked well as a leader pack. I've tried to kill it, but it just won't die. That little REI pack looks like it'd fit the bill nicely as well. With the Ion no longer in production it wouldn't hurt to give it a run; $30 just isn't much of a risk.

I'll take a look at the Cierzo again, haven't done so since it came out. It seems fairly close to the feature set I'm hunting for. I love my Black Ice, but fully stripped it only gets me down to 2.5 lbs., and I don't need the volume for most technical 1(+) day trips.

I'm kinda liking the CCW Valdez at the moment...

The Ion is an awesome pack! I gave mine away before using it much as I wasn't thrilled with the zipper top. But wouldn't have it I 'd known they were no longer avaialable. Was thinking of having Randy @ CCW make up something combining the best of the Flash, my current packs and the Ion in the dyneema ripstop or Spectra ripstop.

But filled up the Flash last night with my kit for a local climb I didn't get on over the weekend. Suspect it is fragile...but what isn't at 10oz? But seems to work fine in the gear room!

Fit is important even in small sacks for me. One of the reasons the Ion was so good, as it came in actual sizes and you could get a decent fit.

and as Daniel said, pretty awkward when not full.

Having done some serious thinking (seriously ;) ) on this of late..I came up with the idea the pack might be too big for your/my use. One of the reasons I am looking at a 20L climbing sac.

Was thinking of having Randy @ CCW make up something combining the best of the Flash, my current packs and the Ion in the dyneema ripstop or Spectra ripstop.

That sounds like a real nice package.

The zipper is a pain on the Ion. My version has the flap instead of the water resistant zip and it gets caught about every fourth time I open it. I've though about cutting it off, but I already went to the trouble of sealing the main seams; I may do it yet. My L sans waist belt is 9.1 oz and was a steal at $50 or less for a solid light leader pack.

I went and looked at the Cierzo. It seems fine for what it is, but I prefer a removable lid, and the fabric (as mentioned) does not seem up to the alpine rambling task. Loaded it up, and it is fine, but I'd agree it's a little big (I know it's gotta be slim, but maybe too long of a design?) for what we're talking about.

Perhaps I was in error when I originally mentioned I'd like something 25-40L...I think really the only pack I was looking at over 30L (other than maybe Crux AK37) was the Podsacs Thin Ice, and about the only thing I really don't like about it is that it's a bit oversized for my purpose. I've played with it and dig the layout/materials/workmanship, and I can make a Size 1 (@40L) work despite a 20.5" torso, but...

The other packs I originally had in mind were the WT guide (25+L), 30L worksack, CCW Valdez, and Crux RK30 . Again, this is a sack for marathon days in the MT/WY Rockies, occasional N. Cascades or Canadian trip, etc.; technical days, but not pushing a leading grade.

The Worksack, Guide, and Valdez are all still looking good to me...problem is handling them and fitting. Any Bozeman guys kickin' around with any of the above?

Yes Dane, its finding that thin line between not overstuffed on the approach and not having it be too baggy during the climb. I thought the Cierzo didn't blend this line too well. And like BigSky, I like a removable lid.

One thing I did when I was climbing in the cirque of the towers was just wear my harnesses on the approach, save pack space etc. But to each their own.

The valdez is significantly larger than the others, 2400 cu in =~39 L. And heavier. The Crux pack looks intriguing, however, the roll top would limit extension/closure when the pack is full. Also I'm not sure how I feel about those compression straps, versus normal straps. Good luck!

My personal input...I own and use the cilogear 30L for climbing and skiing. I don't use the hipbelt, nor the lid and a maximum of 4 straps, which leaves the weight just over 600 g. I have beat this pack up, no wear and tear. Stays out of the way when you climb/ski, easy to pull out the pad to sit on, etc. Not that 30L is too small, but it makes you more conscious of what you're bringing on a trip, which in turns makes you enjoy the climb more!

Sorry for the ramble.

Good thoughts Kevin, thanks. Yeah I'm afraid the RK30 may be a bit gimmicky; it'd be more of a gamble, where I see several other options as a sure bet. Tricky to get anything Crux in the US...something about international shipping with "AK47" on the label.

A while back somebody mentioned helmet clearance problems on the Valdez which is of concern, though at its size I'd probably go without the lid much of the time, if that cured the ill. Decisions, decisions.

Kevin sez: "its finding that thin line between not overstuffed on the approach and not having it be too baggy during the climb."

Agreed. I hate looking like a rambling, alpine gypsy with all my shit hanging on the back of my pack for a approach and a empty pack on the climb. Hard to avoid some times but I am trying to do better.

Size and fit? A 20.5" back is going to limit you on a couple of the sacks recommended. I find the "long shoulder strap" answer unusable. One of the reasons I went to a custom sac.

All my current sacs but one, has a removeable lid. And the ones I can I generally remove for most things. Decided to just have a couple of packs made up with a draw string extention closure and no lid. Gotta make the price a good deal less if nothing else :)

two others for your consideration:

MEC Alpinelite 30

MEC Genie 30 DSL

both comparatively inexpensive, but not full featured. I don't think the lids remove on either. Genie doesn't have a spindrift collar. I used the Genie pretty extensively recently and found the new version carries much more comfortably than the old Serratus version, although the sizing is different now and the "standard" length no longer fits me, too big sadly (5'2"). The fabric probably won't stand for hauling or extensive chimneying.

No personal experience with the Crux packs, but I was talking to a UK climber recently who had one and he complained that the durability was lacking - weak stitching and fragile buckles.

If you can find a WIld Things pack and you like it buy it as they are not making packs right now/any more.

I have two of their packs - Alpinista and Guide. I like both - light weight and functional. Carrying heavy loads is always a problem with such packs. I think Cilo would be my next choice ...

I guess that would narrow my choices. I'll have to give 'em a ring.

I think in the long run I'll probably end up going the custom route with CCW, or the like (as per your choice Dane), but I feel like I need to smoke a few more solid alpine packs before I know what I really want. I'd still consider trying a semi-custom CCW now for the low cost involved.

Edited by BigSky

Yeah I hear Wild Things is nice little company run by divorcee near Mount Washington, New Hampshire.

I've had two of their wind shirts, made from 1983 and 2003. The older one was slightly more labor intensive and cheaper. The newer one had better materials, slightly lesser workman(person)ship, and was a bit behind the curve of high-end expectations.... and more expensive in adjusted dollars. (Obscenely expensive).

Not really different items.

Certainly the more you spend on your 3-pound backpack, and/or the cooler it is, the more interesting and significant you and your climbing will be.

ZAT is honest truth................I realized zis in days of ze Sacs Millet... but lacked wisdom and dollars to purchase........