[TR] Le Calanques, France (with some Skiing in Italy) - Morgiou, Sormiou, En Vau 3/17/2010

Trip: Le Calanques, France (with some Skiing in Italy) - Morgiou, Sormiou, En Vau

Date: 3/17/2010

Trip Report:

This is a cross post from skisickness.com/post. I thought I would share some of the rock climbing with the cascade cadre.

My friend from Hawaii (Jesse) planned a trip to visit us here in Chamonix a few months ago. With warm temperatures and below-average snow conditions we've resorted to drawing mythical creatures all day. (Artist: Liz)

P1020475.jpg

Donc, we thought it might be a good opportunity to grimper at Les Calanques: a spectacular limestone setting just east of Marseille and close to the beautiful coastal village of Cassis. Think deep limestone canyons emptying into the shimmering Mediterranean with phallic towers and cliffs everywhere that are generally well-bolted. Yeah, do want.

But, before we took off we wanted Jesse to get a chance to experience the incredible skiing that the mountains here have to offer in order to contrast coastal tropical climbing paradise. The days before we took off we found some several week old pow on the Glacier du Mort and Col d'entreves off Helbronner in Italy. He was pleased.

Hiking up from l'index.

P1020400.jpg

Liz shredding it right.

P1020413.jpg

Back up again.

P1020416.jpg

P1020428.jpg

Liz negotiating the rocks below the Aiguille d'Entreves.

DSC_0091.jpg

This face is choice.

DSC_0093.jpg

Jesse, feeling ready after a few years in a nice tropical island.

DSC_0108.jpg

Anyway, we got sick of that crap and decided to go here:

P1020436.jpg

We made some savage camping after searching for a bon spot for a few days.

The night we came in we went to Sormiou and experienced a nice sun set after scrambling around the seacliffs. We then slept in a ditch on the side of the road in order to best prepare our daily getting-lost-in-Marseille routine.

The village of Sormiou.

DSC_0116.jpg

Tom looking for some nice falaises.

DSC_0127.jpg

Tom's appetite for finding the deep water solo was soon whetted.

DSC_0132.jpg

We had fun and got krunk as we watched the sun set.

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

The next day started off with some of the spectacular longer routes at Morgiou on the spectacular Cret Saint Michel and Polka. Tom warmed up with a spicy coupla' pitches of 6something and then later we cooled down with the classic beater route up the center of the face on Cret.

Tom leading up the Polka Wall.

DSC_0160.jpg

The rock was amazing.

DSC_0168.jpg

Me seconding.

DSC_0177.jpg

The next day we spent some time beaching and searching for a good savage bivy. It wasn't hard to find one, really. We just had to open our eyes. We went to the epic postcard locale known as En Vau. There we found a nice sunny terrace and swam and eat 3 kilos of cheese each. Liz did a backflip. Tom made climb. Jesse napped. I relaxed.

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

Tom sending it.

DSC_0211.jpg

That night, Liz and Tom climbed the epic classic on the Siren while Jesse and I bailed because we were starting the route at 6pm and it was 5 pitches (turns out we did the beater route in like an hour next day). After that, we commenced our Anglo-Deutsch-American pow-wow. It was really multilateral.

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

The next morning Jesse and I started up the Sirene climbing the Liautard (4c) to get Jesse back rad while Liz and Tom climbed the Super Sirene (6a+) the night before and the Pilier Gauche de la Passerelle (6a+) the next morning.

Jesse and I starting up the Sirene.

P1020442.jpg

Liz and Tom about to top on the Piliar Gauche. Wow.

P1020443.jpg

"This ain't half bad"

P1020446.jpg

After we both reconvened for some cheese and no water, Tom and I wanted to climb the amazing-looking Piliar Droit du Couloir du Milieu (6b). I had fun leading the first pitch and enjoyed the very technical and delicate climbing of the upper pitches which Tom lead. We both agreed that we had climbed some of the best "sport" routes of our lives that day.

Me heading up the first pitch.

DSC_0222.jpg

Me looking down from the first belay. Goddamn I like climbing in shorts and a t-shirt.

P1020454.jpg

The sea cliffs off the back of the Plateau de Castleviel are stupidly amazing.

P1020464.jpg

They even built a toilet.

P1020466.jpg

And breathe. Okay.

P1020458.jpg

Gear Notes:

6 bottles of wine

100 quick draws

Water

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you make me miss my old life. Every spring: two weeks going slowly from les calanques to cimai and then up to buoux before at least four strong days in the verdon and then back to the last spring alpine stuff...

it looked wonderful. thanks for sharing your pictures. I can almost smell that crazy combo of the heathers, the cassis and lavender starting to flower.