Ski Mountaineering with Tele gear...???

dbconlin

I find myself wanting for some AT gear, primarily due to the lack of climbing prowess of tele boots. In fact, none of my 3 pairs of crampons fit my tele boots very well. Plus the duckbill and flexibility in the toe do not lend themselves to stepkicking, particularly on firmer substrates (frontpointing).

However, I don't think I can afford a new set up right now what with the price especially of boots but also the Dynafit bindings. Interested in hearing what limitations and solutions people have experience with tele-ski-mountaineering equipment, ie. what works and what doesn't.

Thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess more of a reaffirmation rather than an alternative to your idea but basically if I can skin all the way up or only boot short sections I take my tele skis or on freshy days (i.e. no pons needed), otherwise I take my short/light Dynafit setup with old/light/walkable red TLT boots. Petzl does make a toe bail specifically for tele boots but my mountaineering crampons are Grivels so I haven't tried it out. FYI there's a pretty good deal on a ski mountaineering setup over at ttips right now: http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=67341

This month's Backcountry ski mag has a feature on ski mountaineering. It highlights some things to consider depending on your chosen mode of travel; AT, tele or split board.

Yeah, I have it and have read it...unfortunately I don't think it addressed any of the things that bother me.

My 2 cents: Suffer with duckbills until you can afford NTN - the best of all worlds (tele and you can climb with them easier because they don't have a duckbill)

Yes, I think I am going to suffer with duckbills for now...I can jerry rig at least one of my pairs of crampons to work well enough. When I can afford it, I think I am going to invest in a good AT setup though...lighter and I find myself using p-turns more and more these days with the big boots and stiff bindings than I used to back in the day when everything was so floppy I had to use tele turns.