Mt.Baker late may - down or primaloft puffy?

monoloco

Noob question I guess. Just not sure how wet cascades are in early spring (last week of may?) and I know how variable conditions can be.

Options are MH Phantom or new-to-me First Ascent Igniter. Will I regret goind with down as my standing-around layer?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

generally speaking with no forcast for may...bring the synthetic jacket.

you could make the call in the last minute though. If the forcast is stellar clear skys, bring the down. If there is any chance of rain/snow, bring the synthetic.

What route are you doing and how long are you on baker? these would affect the answer to your question.

Easton (I presume) AAI noob course. Suspect there'll be some standing around taking turns watching folks z-haul... Im new to glacier travel/camping and the Cascades in general (have backpacked one fall there). Thus the noob question.

I hate heavy and i'll be humping a larger load than i'm used to anyway. So down layer is attractive in terms of bulk and weight.

I remember taking that same course 2 years ago, it started may 7. Personally I brought a down jacket. I think you will be fine with either seriously just be cautous of the down. My biggest problem was gloves. After 2 days of self arrests and crevase rescue they were soaked through bad, and I never got them dried out.Remember to bring spares and handwarmers arent a bad idea.