Hood route recommendation?

pjc

We're looking to climb on hood around the week of march 20 or so. Anyone have recommendation as to what route might fit the bill based on current conditions? We're looking for something that can be done in a long day (could maybe be two days, not two long days though), that has a few fun and mellow ice pitches, maybe some rock, and glacier travel. So basically a relaxing fun mix.

My thoughts so far are eliot, leuthold's, reid headwall (cooper might be an option but that doesn't seem as interesting). Not sure why reid's has a low score on SP compared to the others though.

Any advice would be appreciated!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HI EVERYONE!

I usually hang out a Summit Post but some friends and I got this crazy idea of climbing Hood in a few weeks so I thought I'd post this here. I was wondering if any of you regular Hood climbers has a crystal ball and can tell me exactly what the conditions are going to be on the mountain? I haven't bothered to read the 7000 TRs on this site that have gone up in the last few weeks about hood nor have I looked at the three billion or so from over the last 10 years, so if you could just tell me exactly where to go and what to do and what gear to bring and how to get it done...that would be great.

THANK YOU!

Ha, thanks Atreides:D The paraphrasing was hilarious.

Anyways, before posting I read all trip report from the last several years (the Search seemed to freeze after 4 years though), but those of course don't give info on recent conditions, for example, on the eliot.

pjc, with searches further back in time it helps to narrow your search criteria down to a single route so it don't overload the search engine. Good luck with the climbing adventures. You might like the Sandy HW or Cathedral Ridge. Far far away from the crowds.

I want to backup Ivan's comment about doing the South Side route first - Most problems and rescues on Hood, have resulted because the people envolved have never climbed Hood, and do not know the easy way off - You might make to the top of the Black Spider, then the weather which is coming in from the West blasts you in the face - Knowing the easiest way off could save your life.