Crystal gets a ganj-o-la

Hugh Conway

I think I remember tickets to crystal being like ~ $35 in the late 80's - not sure what part of the increased price comes from inflation, and what part comes from the capital investment that's gone into upgrading and adding lifts - but I'd guess it's 50-50 or thereabouts

was it 07-08 that a day pass was $55 and a season pass was $1000? Far better at skiing for the powderhound then than now. Cheap seaon passes in suck....but not as much as Jacksons $2000 pass sucks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of suckage:

Northway lift gets my vote. Liked it much, much better without the lift and with the shuttle bus that'd take you back to the base.

Used to be a pretty reliable stash with many an untracked line to be had even several hours after the opening bell, even on a weekend, and peppered with smallish cliff-drops that were always sporting pillow landings when the skiing was good. Now the untracked lines are a thing of the past by ~9:45 and the landings get packed out all season long.

Memories......

Yep the Northback used to keep powder for longer. A little hiking plus either a long traverse or a bus ride back to the base was an effective way to keep use down. The new lift changes the characteristics that made that area great.

I don't know if the Northway lift increased ticket sales or not. My guess is the new gondola will help boost ticket sales. With the lift it's a lot easier to promote fancy dining and weddings with Rainier as a backdrop. Summertime revenue is a good thing for a ski resort owner. I imagine Boyne wants Crystal to be just like this (4 season resort). Boyne Michigan. Skiing is way down the list ;)

It's a cool ski area, it would be nice if they would confine developments to the traditional lift served portion. A new lift in the Southback would really suck.

Hmm... I thought you were referring to a pass in Nepal...

Lift ticket prices don't bother me - they keep the road open and I ski the backcountry on the other side. The only days I go to the resort are when the avvy danger is too high (i.e. huge powder day).

Unfortunately, I don't know how I will be able to teach my kids to ski because, as has been pointed out, you gotta spend at least a solid season at a resort to really get it down. I guess Snoqualmie is a great place to learn though...

I grew up skiing at the Snoqualmie Mountaineers then the Meany Lodge. It was way cheaper than public ski areas then, and probably still is now.

No more Snoqualmie these days :( but Meany is still going :tup:.

You have to ride a 20 mph rope tow of course. :grlaf:

Meany_Hut0001.JPG