[TR] Mt. Hood - Cooper Spur 3/6/2010

TurinTheLost

Trip: Mt. Hood - Cooper Spur

Date: 3/6/2010

Trip Report:

Left the Tilly Jane Trail head around 1:00. Shortly after starting we were at the crux of the climb, solid ice on the trail. We were tempted to break out the crampons. Ice skates would have been nice:)

Hung out in one of the cabins for a bit, we got denied the comfort of TJ cabin by a large sure to be climber eating dog inside. Saw two climbers blaze past us while we were shooting the breeze inside. Jealous of their pace and not having the route to ourselves we started off.

Brought snow shoes which were nice when we were tromping through the woods between TJ Cabin and treeline, but otherwise unnecessary.

Met up with the other two Matt(Water) and Jess, and had enjoyed their company the rest of the day. (They even gave us a ride back to our car after we descended the SS, thanks guys it was awesome climbing with ya!)

Conditions overall were great. Although it seems to be changing quickly up there. There was a real spicy spot on a steepest 55 degree slope when the snow ran thin for 30 feet or so down to 6 inches of sugar on top of rock. It definitely made the route more interesting. No telling how long this will be in for the year conditions are changing quick.

Wayne and Beau I scanned my pics for you guys on Center Drip-Black Spider but couldn't see you anywhere. Maybe if I had a better res camera we could see you guys kicking some butt up there from a distance.

IMG_00652.jpgIMG_00761.jpgIMG_00861.jpgIMG_00933.jpgIMG_00962.jpg

Gear Notes:

Brought pickets, rope and 2nd tool didn't use any of it.

Approach Notes:

Ice skates, snowshoes not necessary.

Edited by TurinTheLost

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maine-iac: as of 3/6 it 'did' but calling it snow was a misnomer. I would hope that after the last week or so, esp with new snow it is no longer what it was. If it was snow you could haul a sled sure, so long as it was packed (as ivan says otherwise there are some decent spots for side-hilling)

But it was some serious hard-packed snow-turned ice--really felt more hazardous there than any part of climbing cooper-spur. it was just asking for a bruised tailbone, knee, or split lip. we joked about putting on the crampons for that but it sure as hell would have made it easier and faster-jokes on us.