Searching CC.com

jon

I wanted to post a few comments about searching that will hopefully help you as well as help us. With over 9 years worth of posts in our database it has become very big, and consequently requires more resources to search. We are seeing an ever increasing (and costly) load on our server. To help you search more effectively and quickly we've done a few things as well below offering a couple suggestions. There have been some complaints about our search function, but it's actually surprisingly very good when you need to search a specific date range or posts by a specific user. This search function will improve dramatically in our next version from my understanding.

1. Start your search with the new google search bar on the search page. Google is very fast and it's a good way to start your search. It also takes the load off our server. Start with a broad search and then add more keywords to narrow in on what you are looking for. Use advanced search functions for the most powerful and accurate search.

2. If Google search will not find specifically what you are looking for then move to our search. If you looking for a TR use the TR Search Function. Start your search using narrow criteria and then broaden. DO NOT search 10 years on your first search. Use the advance searching options will greatly increase your chances of finding what you are looking for.

Advanced Search Tips
Use +keyword for required keywords.
Use -keyword to exclude posts with a keyword.
Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase.
Use a * at the end of the word to match partial words.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

By and large, cc.com is the least robust of all the regular blog or forum sites I use. The search function is by far the poorest and most difficult to use of the lot. But, if I had to pick you guys working on your search or your overall availability and performance I'd definitely pick the latter at this point in time.

I agree on the advice above to use google search first and then cc.com search - that advice should be repeated and amplified whenever possible.