• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
PeakDream

How do you pack your ice screws?

Black Diamond has the Ice ScrewUp bag that takes 6 ice screws. I don't feel like paying $20 for a canvas bag. I have heard people use some type of material that wrap around each ice screws. Just wondering what everyone is using.

I don't feel like paying $20 for a canvas bag.

It's not just a bag, it's a series of tubes :grlaf:

The price might not bother you after

1) your screws clink together in your homemade bag, dulling the threads

2) your screws puncture everything else in your backpack

Ya its worth it... just ante up for one. I also use the OR version. The BD only has six slots, but if your using mainly shorter screws you can oppose the ends and you should be just fine.

The BD screw up is nice for screws but it's really great for wire brushes etc. if you do a lot of cleaning and new routing come the end of ice season. So it gets my vote as it gets used year-round.

I didn't like the BD one. Anyone know where I can find OR version? I was gonna make my own but material cost is too high to justify it.

I have some hypalon coming to make a couple. Hypalon isn't cheap but deosn't take much material. Could do it with 500d PU coated cordura for REALLY cheap if you know somebody with a sewing machine.

I have heard people use some type of material that wrap around each ice screws. Just wondering what everyone is using.

Just save/reuse the mesh thread covers that come w/ each screw - if desired toss in a cheapo bag.

Rubber tubing. I forget the diameter, could check when I get home. Hell, it might even be some type of cut up bike tire.

Edit: Make sure to take the tubing off and let the screws sit for a bit, because water will be stuck against the screw if you throw them in the tube wet, then let it sit in your closet for a couple weeks.

Edited by JBo6