Mountaineering boots for wider toes?

TwoFortyJeff

I tried on the La Sportiva Trango S and Scarpa Charmoz and both were pretty narrow in the foot. The local REI didn't have anything else. I was also surprised by the amount of flex under the toes.

Is there another brand or style of boot that is wider in the toes and a bit stiffer?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want stiffer boots, you need to look at winter ice climbing boots. Try the nepal top or the like. but from your mentioned boots, I suspect you are looking for a summer alpine boot, which a little flex is good for the walking you will need to do with. My buddy used the charmoz on a n ridge of baker trip and didn't mention any problem with his boots. I use the garmont towers for summer alpine snow/ice and it works great. I have a widish foot too. I got it at feathered friends if you live in seattle area. That was a while ago so I am unsure if they still make that model.

good luck and try on many models.

Thankfully I am near Seattle, so I do have some options. I will try some Garmonts.

To clarify, I am looking for what would be considered a summer alpine boot. I guess I just like more stiffness though.

I do own Kayland Apex Treks, which are wonderfull except that my toes hit the fron when walking downhill and I don't think going half a size larger will change much.

I have used a winter ice boot (the blue freneys) for lots of summer stuff. (I don't think that the options for summer alpine boots were around like they are now) it is just not as forgiving on the trails. better than plastic though. But if you need the stiffness, there are many good options in the winter ice boot area, like the sportiva models. ( I don't know the names or are really familair with them anyway.)

Check out the Asolo Expert boots, they tend to run a bit wider, though not much stiffer than the charmoz. A good summer boot. I haven't tried the Asolo Makalu, but I suspect it may be a bit stiffer, and still run with the wider toe box.

For the Kaylands you have, try putting a superfeet footbed, it will help keep your foot more stable in it and reduce slippage to the front. Also, try lacing by running it to the top hook, then down to a hook over the ankle and lacing it there. This sounds silly, but it will help hold your foot further back in the boot. Superfeet guarantee their footbeds with a 100% refund for 60 days, so if it doesn't work, no big deal. It may be an easy $35-45 fix for you. Good luck!

I couldn't find the Asolo Experts in stock in my size anywhere, so I back ordered them.

Interesting thought on the superfeet insoles. I may have to try that for the meantime. My Kaylands fit similar to my normal hiking boots, but they just move around move around more on the downhill in the kaylands.