Climbing shoe wear patterns

attila

After a borrowing and renting for a while, I recently purchased a pair of shoes (5.10, lace-ups). I noticed that the soles are begining to wear/form a bit. Most noticiable is a dent that is forming between the ball of my foot and the front of the shoe --sort of underneath my big and 2nd toe. Is this a normal wear pattern?? Thanks for the insight.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed the same "dent" form in my shoes before. If your doing alot of sport the main wear is on the tip and right on the end of your toes but I have found with more trad stuff I have wear my shoes more in the area which you are talking about. I have a pair that has a paper thin layer at that spot that I am going to send in to repair.

The other possibility is that, as a beginner (and it sounds from your post like you climb in the gym?), you're probably using a lot of big footholds, or your footwork is still sloppy and you're pasting more of your foot on holds as opposed to using just the edge of your shoe (a common technique when one is first starting climbing).

As far as whether it's "normal," it probably is if you fit the beginner or crack climber criteria. Otherwise, most folks find their rubber wearing thin on the front inside edge under the big toe.

[ 11-21-2002, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Dr Flash Amazing ]