Good deal on fleece?

RobBob

Since people are discussing sleeping bags and shells, I'd like to ask a dumb question. Anyone seen a good deal recently on a mid-weight fleece jacket that would do for layering and by itself (no windstopper, etc.)? I left my good one in a rental car... [Frown]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, you guys have sold me on the light fleece. I have figured that I could shed some weight from my current combo, which has been a mid-weight fleece and a fairly heavy gore-tex shell if there's precip/wind.

Now, what's the best soft-shell to go with that? [Confused]

When y'all are talking soft shells (barring tortillas and mollusks, of course), are you referring to the Schoeller Dryskin/Malden Powershield type pieces, or are you talking lighter-weight standard shells, e.g. Gore Pac-Lite or XCR type garments? Curious about the usefulness and pros/cons of the new crop of fleece laminate gear vs. a light shell and fleece combo.

remember, DFA-fleece sux-the less fleece the better. a softshell with out a waterproof breathable barrier can be either shell like or a bicomponent weave like Scholler Dryskin.

come down and see me at the shop if you need a full dissertation on the subject

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

When y'all are talking soft shells (barring tortillas and mollusks, of course), are you referring to the Schoeller Dryskin/Malden Powershield type pieces, or are you talking lighter-weight standard shells, e.g. Gore Pac-Lite or XCR type garments? Curious about the usefulness and pros/cons of the new crop of fleece laminate gear vs. a light shell and fleece combo.

80s dayglo Scott Franklin/Todd Skinner Lycra over long underwear

[Roll Eyes]

"a light shell and fleece combo" is more versatile, IMO. Jackets that combine the two are prone to condensation and ice buildup at the fleece, nylon barrier when it's really cold. I, personally, don't think fleece sucks, but it's not the best to wear as an outer layer when it's snowing. Plus, fleece is super cheap if you avoid namebrands (TNF, BD, Mountain Hardwear, etc.). You can get a decent pullover for under $20 if you check out Shopko, Costco, Walmart, and others, and are not averse to wierd colors, or camo. Any fleece will pull moisture to its backing, so old-school pile, or borglite, will be dryer than two-sided fleece in which the two backinging are laminated together.

Remember you want to stay cool. Not warm and not cold. Cool muscles are more efficient. If you sweat under a hard shell, and it freezes, it will have zero breathability. The new Mountain Gear catalog has some deals on fleece; an Arc'teryx fleece jacket for $80.00.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

Old Navy fleece jacket, $20

Old Navy fleece vest, $8

Is the Mountain Hardwear four times better?

Uh at the North Face & Patagucci outlets you can get real fleece for less than twice that - and from my experience they'll last well more than twice as long.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

How's the durability and construction on Old Navy fleece gear, though? If they're using cheap-ass fleece that's going to get all matted down, pilled out, and worn thin and you have to buy a new one every year, then something more pricey might by worth it. How about stitching and zippers? Are they using cotton thread and low stitch counts so your seams blow out? Are the zippers cheap knockoffs that come apart if you tug on 'em? Can you get at the pockets with a pack on? Do they move with you and do the cuffs and waist stay put, or do they bind up and leave 6" of wrist and back exposed when you lift your arms?

There are reasons that that big-name shit costs more dough. Sure, it's similar in some ways to a 20-dollar item, but it's not the same.

Thanks man, that was really good information. Makes me want to go out and buy some cool new trendy shit. Now where's that new Mountain Gear catalog?