sleeping bag

jeremyaw

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with Bronco, but a light-weight synthetic overbag would pair up with your down bag to make a winning combination. When you put a down bag inside a thin synthetic one, the frost weatening and the moisture that doesn't make it out from the inside ends up in the synthetic bag, which is easier to dry out and less affected by becoming wet. This combo will be slightly heavier and bulkier than the warmer down bag alone, but it works very well - particularly for extended trips.

If you are really poor you could get a wool army blanket and wrap it around your bag. I did this for my 20 degree bag for a long time and it worked to zero quite comfortably.

The Keltys are Ok, Backside (NF ripoff Co.) also makes a cheapy synthetic zero degree. The problem with these is not weight but compressibility.

Mattp's advice is very good too, or you could check out the current bag thread in the gear critic section if you have the $$. I made a suggestion on a good 5 degree I bought recently on that thread.

Good luck.

on a technical note to second on Mattp's suggestion of a synthetic overbag.

The addition of an overbag moves the dew point (the temerature that moisture condensates as liquid out of it's vapor state) out of your down sleeping bag and into the outerbag. this keeps your down drier because H20 stays vapor in the down and condenses in the overbag. you get a better transpiration rate and moisture movement out of down bag into next layer.

This will keep your down drier than having a full winter temp down bag and one arguably reccommended for extended trips.

being that dewpoint is a result of temperature varience, possibly. However, the relative thinnessof the bivy most likely keeps the depoint temp inside your bag still. It seems condesation occurs inside of bivies, eh, crew? There's some explaination of some sorts on MEC's site. in matter of temperature enhancement -Overbag vs. bivy for long trips, overbag. Bivy'll wet you out damn quick. you still need protection from the elements so this topic presentssome slippery vectors to gauge

[ 10-30-2002, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Beck ]