Tent Recommendations ?

alexbaker

I am in the market for a new tent. If you or someone you know has had good (or bad) experiences with a tent that you think could influence my buying decision, I would be happy to hear about it. Thanks in advance, here is some info which could help:

1. If it has mesh I would like the option to zip it up w/ full fabric. I've had bad experiences in dusty areas (creek) with mesh.

2. I will be using this tent in car camping situations 75% of the time. Probably 20% backpacking and the other 5 maybe in the snow.

3. 2 person

4. Money is pretty important. 400 bucks seems like the most I would spend. Perhaps more under special circumstances, i.e. a single wall which does great in rain and is super durable.

5. Single wall would be rad, but I live in the northwest and I wonder if they do good in the rain?

6. The simpler the better. In general I can't stand features, gadgets and gizmos. I still use a phone from 2001 and sharpen my pencils.

Thanks all

Alex

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree with Summitchaser...for a tent primarily for car camping, you don't really need a single wall tent. A roomy 2 person with a fly that is light enough for backbacking is the ticket. On fine nights leave the fly off and enjoy the stars safe from the bugs. In the rain, a waterproof fly will keep you cozy. There are dozens of tents that will fit the bill. Look at Sierra Designs, Big Agnes, and even REI. You can probably get a decent tent on sale. I had an REI Half Dome that worked well for me for many years. My main tent now is a Black Diamond Firstlight, but I don't take it car camping ever. I have a big dome tent for that...comfy!

With those kind of requirements I would get any double wall tent from a reputable manufacturer that is on sale. If it was primarilty alpine one nighters I'd get a betalight tarp, winter - a firstlight, exped a bibler. I seem to remember a sierra designs cliplight flashlight cd to be a great tent for the coin.

The tent you're looking for sounds like the REI Arete ASL 2 (single front door/vestibule) or the REI Cirque ASL 2 (if you want side doors with 2 big vestibules and won't be digging a platform on steeper snow).

They are pretty damn lightweight for a legit crossover tent that will handle both backpacking AND mountaineering without much compromise. I've been wanting one for a long time but I already have two tents that are nearly in the same category so I can't justify it.

My favorite tent ever in the "3-season 2-person backpacking" category is the unfortunately discontinued REI Sub-Alpine. Roomy, easy setup (all clips, no stupid pole sleeves, easy to set up even with only one person), pretty light, and it was very well-priced. If you can find a used one I would highly recommend it.

Slept in an old Fitzroy during a Kentucky down poor. Don't know if you've spent any time down south but Seattle's rain ain't got shit on these monsoons... Anyhow, woke up dry as a bone and spent the next two days climbing over hangs cause everything else was soaked. The BD or Bibler tents all around rock for every situation.

MSR Hubba Hubba HP.

Super light (under 4#), roomy for two, dual doors & vestibules, waterproof fly, easy to set up, can find online for under $400

but for a car camper? check out STP, Backcountry's Outlet ect...you'll find something suitable for well under half your budget