Mt. Hood - Cooper Spur late may

Wesley Laws

I'm looking to climb Cooper Spur in late may. I climbed the Southside last year and I'm looking for a less traveled route. I'm a newbie with the summits of Rainier and Hood under my belt. I've done some research on this route and it sounds like its not wise to descend it. Is it wise to be roped up on ascent depending on conditions?

Is route finding relatively easy? We are planning on camping near tie in rock. Any other recommendations? Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done some research on this route and it sounds like its not wise to descend it. Is it wise to be roped up on ascent depending on conditions?

Depends on your comfort level, experience in your team and snow conditions.

Is route finding relatively easy? We are planning on camping near tie in rock. Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Yes, the route finding is very straightforward: see Ore High or take the left couloir down below the summit ridge.

If you will be camping at the Tie-in rock, are you packing the tent up the Spur? In late May, the Cloud Cap road might be open, so you should be able to do it in one day unless you wanna take your time and enjoy the North side.