Mescalito, El Capitan, Yosemite!

Corduroy Man

Yeah there is a bit of heckling going on here (I'm in that group) but the general idea is not to under-estimate that wall and get some practice. Most of the wall climbing I've tried to do ended in failure and bailing, not because the climbing was hard, but because I was too slow. Just about anyone can figure out how to aid up C2, however the real skill of it is to do it quickly and efficiently. Unlike free climbing, on the big "day" you just can't will yourself to move faster or push harder, if your systems weren't dialed before they won't get dialed up there.

I'll stand by my earlier recommendation, you should be able to lead and clean a (moderate) pitch in two hours or less. If it takes you 8 hours ( as someone suggested) to lead a pitch on El Cap, you'll be up there for a month. Now there's a TR I would read!

-Nate

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People love saying you need to take baby steps. Just get fired up and thrive off the nay sayers! It's a tall wall and you have to stay fired up and remember that if it sucks at times it's gonna be over within a week. The faster you dudes clean the better, cause you are gonna need both you to haul the bags for a while. Get a huge pulley.

I had a strong partner, which was key to getting up the route in under 2 weeks.

I'd go to Index before and climb Green Dragon, Dana's Arch, and Town Crier. If you can do these you can easily climb Mescalito if you stay motivated.