Mescalito, El Capitan, Yosemite!

Corduroy Man

Has any one climbed Mescalito on El Capitan in Yosemite? I'm looking for any information anyone has. My partner and I are training right now to do Mescalito at the end of May. We will be out at Smith Rock State Park this weekend attempting the West Face route on Monkey Face. Last weekend we went to the Rat Cave for some super rad steep aid climbing. Is there any route in Oregon that Mescalito compares to? I'm getting pretty nervous now but I am quite confident we can climb the Mescalito. With 23 years experince between us. Thanks for any help in advance. My partner has done the Pioneer Route up Monkey Face before so I think that should help. Climb hard and Rock on!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any route in Oregon that Mescalito compares to?

The closest routes that are comparable to Mescalito are found on El Cap

We will be out at Smith Rock State Park this weekend attempting the West Face route on Monkey Face

If you are ready for Mescalito, the WF will be casual

My partner has done the Pioneer Route up Monkey Face before so I think that should help

Let the flaming begin, Troll?

Edited by MarkMcJizzy

We will be out at Smith Rock State Park this weekend attempting the West Face route on Monkey Face

Thanks, I have heard both routes rated at about C2+, I know one is a lot longer. But if its all the same it should not be too bad. Rock on!

PS please no flaming or trolling, this is a serious post!!

Thanks, I have heard both routes rated at about C2+, I know one is a lot longer. But if its all the same it should not be too bad. Rock on!

I think I am going to be able to log on to elcapreport.com and watch you bail in realtime come May.

I think I am going to be able to log on to elcapreport.com and watch you bail in realtime come May.

I just found elcapreport.com. Looks awsome! I can't wait to be on there. I will not bail. But thanks for the support. Have you even climbed Mescalito? Thanks in advance to anyone who's acctually nice, and can provide some decent info. Rock on!

Edited by Corduroy Man

I have not climbed Mescalito but do know that, as was mentioned above, single or several pitch climbs of any rating are not proper preparation for Grade VI on the Captain. You should go early or extend your trip and train in Yosemite on Grade IV and Grade V to build your skills. Otherwise you WILL be schooled.

This response is assuming this is a serious post. I mean Pioneer Route is a bolt ladder for Christ's sake.

cord, you sure you're not just a giant alter-ego? you seem waaaaay too chipper to be an actual human-bean :)

regardless if you're real or not, enjoy the valley - it's insane cool - the chief secret is not to spray like a madman b4 you go as it results in a near 100% failure rate - the captian in particuliar is mind-boggingly gigantic and you would be well advised to hit some of the smaller walls first

:rawk: -on though! :grin:

yeah, try some smaller routes first, el cap is truly massive, photos really don't do it justice. do some shorter aid routes first, like washington column and the NE face o half dome, before you even think about doing mescalito, you might be able to scrape your way up the nose. I really want to get into aid climbing and go to yosemite to climb some big walls, but I wouldn't consider el cap until I have done many other multipitch walls where I could prefect my skills in order to move fast and efficiently. like do the upper town wall routes several times, do WA column, leaning spire, reg route, then zodiac or the salethe. don't rush into stuff, you'll climb longer.

I have climbed Mescalito, and it's a great route. I won't give you much beta because part of doing a wall route is figuring out, but the route can be done hammerless but does rely on some fixed gear, so bring a good selection of heads in case any are blown, a few lost arrows, and a few sawed angles. Cam hooks and hybrid aliens help the route go clean, 3 sets of hybrids would be nice to have. The Bismark pitch requires some wide lie backing or lasso tricks or big bros at the top.

Have fun and if you don't have any big wall experience in Yosemite, you should warm-up on something smaller or chances are you will bail, and try not to nail.

Hi guys, thanks for the support, and the banter. I guess I should make my self a little clearer. I have mostly climbed on the east coast, I just relocated to the west coast three years ago and have slowly been getting into the climbing scene ever since. I have done VMC Direct on aid and some other routes out there as well. Sorry for bothering you. Rock on!

...I guess I should make my self a little clearer. I have mostly climbed on the east coast....I have done VMC Direct on aid and some other routes out there as well...Rock on!

That makes all the difference in the world, thanks for clearing that up. Regardless, Mescalito is a very big route. If you want to try El Cap, maybe the Triple Direct or Lurking Fear is a better choice.

The truth is, if you really try to do Mescalito, you'll probably be overwhelmed by the scale and bale after three pitches, or not. Lee Cunningham did the sixth ascent of ZM as his first El Cap route

Edited by MarkMcJizzy

Is this the guy you are climbing with? At the pace of one pitch per day, it'll take you a full month to send and a lot of water.

I think it is possible to do a big wall your first try without having ever been on the big stone, however you'll need to practice your systems at the local crag( and no, aiding a bolted sport route doesn't count as practice) If you can't lead and follow a pitch in less than two hours, you'll never make it and we will indeed see a real time bail report on the interwebs.

Edited by eldiente