Firearms allowed in National Parks

timmy_t

So apparently this law went into effect on Monday:

http://www.ptleader.com/main.asp?SectionID=36&SubSectionID=55&ArticleID=26352

If I understand it correctly, you can carry loaded guns but you still can't use them?

I wonder how long before companies start competing to make New Fantastic Ultralight Titanium Firearms for hikers. Good lord.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how long before companies start competing to make New Fantastic Ultralight Titanium Firearms for hikers. Good lord.

Friend of mine in Wyoming has a Ti revolver... the ammo weighs more then the pistol. Given the activity of Grizzlies in the fall and spring out there I dont blame him.

The people who are legally allowed and permitted to carry aren't the ones you should worry about.

True, they mostly shoot themselves or each other in hunting accidents, domestic disputes, and murder-suicides. Odds are you'll probably be safer in a National Park than your kid's school.

Go on back to your non-firearm owning echo chamber and keep telling each other about how dangerous gun owners are. It'll be true in your own mind. It's the same mentaility of non-climbers when discussing accidents on Mt. Hood and how mandatory PLBs, etc should be required.

Go on back to your non-firearm owning echo chamber and keep telling each other about how dangerous gun owners are. It'll be true in your own mind. It's the same mentaility of non-climbers when discussing accidents on Mt. Hood and how mandatory PLBs, etc should be required.

A climber without a PLB can't accidentally shoot me with his forgotten PLB while I hike to a crag.

Actually, kind of a gruesome story - A few years ago, I was climbing in Rifle in the fall when an ambulance rocketed up through the canyon. Later in the day, I asked a group of deer hunters if they knew what the emergency had been. Apparently, a hunter had nailed another hunter to a tree with his hunting bow. How mid evil is that?

Note that this rule only applies to people with a permit to carry a concealed weapon in that State. Ie If you have a permit in WA, it is still illegal to bring your loaded hand-gun to Yosemite. If you have no permit, it is still illegal to carry in a concealed weapon in NP.

Edited by eldiente

What do y'all think about this stuff from the article:

"The new law does not change prohibitions on the use of firearms in national parks and does not change hunting regulations. Being allowed to carry a firearm in a national park or wildlife refuge does not come with permission to use it."

Then what's the @#$%ing point? If it's self-defense against animals, a couple of questions come to mind: How many documented cases of animal attacks within national parks could have been prevented with a gun? How many were provoked by silly people? How many could be just as easily thwarted with, say, bear spray? And if it's self-defense against crazies, how often have you heard of crazies in national parks running around shooting people? For me, it's not that I'm worried about my own personal safety. I'm more concerned with the psychological implications. I don't want to think, "Does this person have a gun? Does that person have one?" while I'm hiking around. And I know I will.

Here's another fun comment:

"Many Washington State Parks rangers are armed. Most national park rangers are not armed."

Wonder if that will change.

Seriously. This shit does not make any sense.

Nor do many things based on ideaology ("it's my right to carry one, dang nabit!") rather than reality. Again, I feel sorry for people paranoid enough to think they have to carry around a gun in a national park to defend themselves.