Traverse of the range definition

glassgowkiss

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do a traverse without summitting. When I've done them I just say I traversed this area and I submitted peak x, y, and z.

If you take your idea to an extreme then you can't claim a summit of Rainier till you climb every route including Willis Wall and the Liberty Cap ice cliff.

so if i go on "Waddington Traverse" and skip the summits of Combatant or Serras, by following the glacier under it will count?

If you traverse the Waddington Range you don't climb any of those except maybe the NW peak. Especially of you are linking up the Pantheon-Wadd-Whitemantle.

How many peaks did Edwards-Millar-Culbert-Rowat climb on the first "complete single-season Coast Mountains traverse"? Around a dozen. You see?

GGK, perhaps you misunderstand exactly what the word "traverse" means. "Traverse" from Websters dictionary:

a : to go or travel across or over

b : to move or pass along or through

Doesn't say nothing about summiting anything.

I assume you are referring to the recent ski traverse of the pickets? Do you think they are somehow abusing the word to claim a traverse because they didn't summit every single peak along the way?

Well..I'd say it depends. Like for instance the Torre traverse is explicitly a traverse of the Torre mountains. So if you didn't summit that wouldn't really count.

Feck- Summiting and traversing are different. Summiting is just traveling the top of something, and doesn't require use of all routes. If you say you are going to traverse a range of peaks some would assume you should actually do that, some not.

No I am referring more to old tr's. You can't apply "traverse" from a dictionary to climbing definition, like you most likely won't find terms like red point, onsight, flash and such.

So on the token of your thinking it's enough to traverse on the glacier from Cerro Stanhard to Cerro Torre to do Cerro Torre traverse?

a range can have multiple possible traverses , so glacier traversing Stanhard to Torre is a traverse, but is not a repeat of the Garibotti/Haley traverse. I think there is also a contrast between a technical climbing traverse, and a skiing/hiking traverse. On a technical climbing traverse, it would seem appropriate to tag all summits. On a ski/hike, maybe not. Honesty in reporting is probably the most important part.

Where do you think the climbing term "traverse" comes from? Someone made it up out of the blue? It comes from the actual real word. Just like "climb" and "summit" and "route" and "ledge" and "rock" and "boot" and "ridge" and .....

Does the word "rock" mean something different in climbing than it does in the rest of the English speaking world?

Open a guidebook and friggin read about what FA of Ptarnigam Traverse was. If you claim the fastest or any ascent at all at least do a route that was originally done, not some glacier walk.

how dare you claim the hardest onsight when you are clipping preplaced quickdraws. real onsighting requires placing gear on lead...

how dare you claim a successful ascent of zero gully on ben nevis when you never chopped steps like the original ascent team...

fap fap fap blah blah blah

Where do you think the climbing term "traverse" comes from? Someone made it up out of the blue? It comes from the actual real word. Just like "climb" and "summit" and "route" and "ledge" and "rock" and "boot" and "ridge" and .....

Does the word "rock" mean something different in climbing than it does in the rest of the English speaking world?

So where the Ptarnigam Traverse name comes from?

Open a guidebook and friggin read about what FA of Ptarnigam Traverse was. If you claim the fastest or any ascent at all at least do a route that was originally done, not some glacier walk.

how dare you claim the hardest onsight when you are clipping preplaced quickdraws. real onsighting requires placing gear on lead...

how dare you claim a successful ascent of zero gully on ben nevis when you never chopped steps like the original ascent team...

fap fap fap blah blah blah

yeah, next time I climb to the top of Split Pillar I'll say I climb Grand Wall? Doesn't matter if you chop steps or front point- by saying you climbed Zero it means you started at the bottom, finished at the top (regardless of techniques used)- anything else is a false wankfest

Just say summit ridge traverse if you mean going over all the peaks. "Traverse" is pretty general, trying to assign some set meaning to it seems pointless. Yes, most of us do the Ptarmigan Traverse as a glorified glacier walk. If I were to go out of my way to climb every peak and wanted to make note of that, I'd just say i did the "original ptarmigan traverse" or clarify that I summited every peak. CAll it what you want. If you are just looking to criticize somebody, come out and say it rather than beat around the bush.

Just say summit ridge traverse if you mean going over all the peaks. "Traverse" is pretty general, trying to assign some set meaning to it seems pointless. Yes, most of us do the Ptarmigan Traverse as a glorified glacier walk. If I were to go out of my way to climb every peak and wanted to make note of that, I'd just say i did the "original ptarmigan traverse" or clarify that I summited every peak. CAll it what you want. If you are just looking to criticize somebody, come out and say it rather than beat around the bush.

Dude, it's simple- Ptarnigam Traverse is what Ptarnigams did in the 1930's during the FA. It's like climbing to the top of Dolt Tower, raping down and claiming ascent of the Nose.

Agreed, but you're topic was more general, not just talking about the Ptarmigan Traverse. I guess the meaning of "ptarmigan traverse" has morphed through the years since nobody actually does the full original traverse. Language and meanings change, nothing new here. If you want to draw a distinction, do so. Trying to assign some set meaning to "traverse" in general is pointless is all I'm saying.

If you have a problem with everybody putting the word "traverse" in their reports, just say that. I will be doing a U-district to fremont traverse home today, but I wont be summiting the true high points. I guess I'm just a poser.

check the spelling for wypierdalaj.

My personal favorite is #3....

wypierdalaj:

Polish word for "get lost", but much more vulgar (more like "get the fuck out of here!"). Also used as "let's go" especially among young people.

1.Wypierdalaj stad chamie!

1.Get lost(You) jerk!

2.Jak nie masz kasy to wypierdalaj!

2.If You don't have money, then get the fuck out of here!

3.Nudno tu. Wypierdalamy!

3.It's boring here. Let's go (somewhere else).