rainier ski?

spionin

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thermogenesis dude :tup::lmao:

Actually the Emmons Glacier is a good. The Emmons involves lots of road skiing until the road to the White River Campground is open. Fuhr Finger would be another choice.

This last stretch of weather could have worked for skiing, but I believe we're headed back to the typical precip cycle. Past that you're looking for a few solid days of good weather. In a lot of years May is a good month, but that's just a guess.

Spend a lot of time looking at

NOAA

and

NWAC

I've skied both the Fuhrer Finger and the Emmons. I far prefer the Finger--better fall line, earlier access, no dry trail to hike, and (at least in my sample size of 2) fewer crevasse shenanigans. The best skiing on the Emmons route is on the Inter Glacier. The rest is traverse-y and mellow, interspersed with gaping crevasses.

I'd wait until spring/summer corn season, and not ski it during the first big warm up (14k freezing levels). The Finger can have just absolutely ripper corn in it if you time it right. If you wait too long it gets peppered with rocks and water ice. Mid to late May and certainly no later than late June should be just about right. The Emmons stays skiable until mid July most years.

• 2 weeks later...