[TR] Sperry Peak - Northeast Face 2/21/2010

Ade

Trip: Sperry Peak - Northeast Face

Date: 2/21/2010

Trip Report:

[img:center]http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/11/99/02/44/p1040013.jpg[/img]

(check out Josh's other pictures on http://www.hikrs.com)

Marko and I could only get out Sunday so we opted to have another go at Sperry Peak. Both of us had tried it before. It's an impressive peak and commanding line when seen from the surrounding peaks.

Our line climbs the rib on the left side of the main couloir, the feature highlighted by the sun/shade line in the photo above. Initially we'd planned to climb central couloir but cruddy snow conditions and an impressive cornice said otherwise.

Low down the route was perfect neve but above about 5000' there was a lot of soft snow. We wallowed and trenched our way up the upper sections to reach the ridge from there we traversed to the summit.

The picture makes the line look improbably steep for a snow route. We were both surprised how steep it was. We conditions glued snow to some of the steeper rock sections of the route.

I'll post some pictures when I get back from my next trip. As far as I know this is a new line (FA).

Gear Notes:

Lots of slings for trees and some rock gear. Ice gear and pickets proved to be useless.

Approach Notes:

Drive to the end of the road, the mine trailhead, head directly across the valley and head up below the NE face.

Edited by Ade

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...