Alpine climbing clothing

EricMPeterson

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on the weather, but for just about any climb above 20 degrees, i wear some tight nylon boxer briefs covered by fairly heavy duty full zip shell pants, like an arcteryx bib. the shell pants seem to be overkill, but keep me warm when i need them to, and then fully vent for when i heat up. works for me.

i also carry some lighter weight long underwear pants, but run very warm and rarely bust them out.

I agree with Kurt. The most versatile pair of pants I owned was a pair of Patagonia Talus pants. Lightweight and simple, they were incredably versatile. I used them rock climbing, aid climbing, skiing, ice climbing, and alpine climbing including winter ascents of Rainier and Mt Hunter in spring with insulated pants going over the top when it got cold.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

you know having used some Gamma AR pants - I'm not sure I really like them any more then light nylon pants that have been nikiwaxed (for summer climbing).

Not sure why but the softshells dont seem to cut the wind as well as nylon, and they seem to offer only a bit better weather protection. Do seem more durable though. Am I the only one, or are summer softshells really awesome and I got a dud?

I pretty much exclusively use a 4 year old pair of REI Mistrals, which are awesome light Schoeller softshell pants, and add layers (or thicknesses) of long underwear as needed.

I do exactly the same thing. These pants are hardy and breathe well. In the Summer I'll wear some nylon shorts, preferably with a Hawaiian floral design, and put the softshell pants when it gets chilly or I plan on glissading.

Another soft shell fan here...I happen to like the Mammut Courmayeur tan softshell or Talc pants. I have also had good luck with pants with zip off legs, like the Mountain Hardwear Pack or Matterhorn pants. If it's hot you can have shorts...just take off the legs. They are reasonably wind resistant and warm in cooler conditions. Another option is a 3/4 or knicker type soft shell pant with long socks for chillier conditions. I've used all of these in various weather and temperatures. As mentioned previously, a lightweight hardshell pant or some long underwear bottoms can be added if it gets really cold (as it can up high in the wee hours).

simple softshell pant with a thermal underneath for cold days. Cheap so you won't feel bad when you cut it up with crampons. Fit matters though. Don't buy cheap if it fits like a diaper. (which is how the rei pants) I bought a pair of OR pants that did me very well.

the convertable pant doesn't do well for me either. Feels weird when the zipper rubs on the leg.

Buy what works.