Salmon River crags near Riggins

shapp

So I hear tell of some multipitch cracks near manning bridge up the salmon river east of Riggins. We drew a permit for the main salmon river float for the end of August and would like to sample some of the climbing for a day after the take out at Carey Creek. If you know of this climbing area please pm me a couple details to get me on some climbs.

Thanks,

Shapp

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after corresponding with John it appears there is an obvious classic 5.9 crack to be had a couple minutes up from the road. Will at least get on that. Oh we will be passing through on our way out from a 84 mile river trip through the Frank Church Wilderness of No Return.

• 3 weeks later...

There is granite in that area, but you will be taking out near the town of Riggins, and the real quality climbing there is limestone...It is excellent. The granite in that area is grainy/oatmeally as shit...IMHO...I lived there for the last 4 years and climbed a lot of the granite from Boise all the way up the crest to north of Mccall and Riggins. The Granite on the river is also pretty chossy, and wasn't even worth the climbing shoes I brought for bouldering.

Obviously everyone has they're own opinion, many people rave about the "Secret" needles area, but I thought that place was sucky...probably a reason it is "secret".

You could also go a bit early and hit the Sawtooths on the way to do the car shuttle.

Have a great trip that river is amazing.

Thanks bro,

am familiar with Riggins and other idaho limestone, unfortunately (fortunately?) I feel more comfortable in a 5.9 crack than a 5.11 sport climb. Can't hit the sawtooths on this trip, commitments before and after. Been there before though. I grew up climbing in oregon so choss is relative. I don't plan on doing the 350+ mile shuttle one way! Paying to have the rig shuttled is well worth it.

Cheers,

Shapp

Edited by shapp

• 5 months later...

Please disregard the comments of no good granite climbing along the main salmon rafting run from Corn Creek to Carey creek and along the shuttle road out to Riggins. There are several quality looking lines and we climbed 2 of them, both excellent hand cracks. The hand crack a couple hundred yards west of marsters bridge and 50 yards off the road was totally great 3 stars, would be 4 stars if the last little bit was cleaned. This climb woud have a line to lead it if it were at Index or Leavenworth. Unfortunately the camera was out of batteries.

• 1 month later...

I am fealing kind of inadequate after reading the Mt. Borah stuff, but anyway. Main Salmon River Aug 23 to Aug 30, 2010. 84 miles, 7 days, 200 beers, nice hand cracks, wildlife, great time.

Todd with an impressive dive, also one of the guys that put up Flight of the Falcon in D-town and one hell of a kayaker

Rankins_222_.JPG

The red boat takes on Big Mallard

Rankins_113_.JPG

Horseshoes at Reed Creek Camp

Rankins_167_.JPG

The Redheaded Giant

Rankins_118_.JPG

The non-climbing climber pitches some shoes

Rankins_170_.JPG

I love sheep gene wilder tyle!

Rankins_112_.JPG

My old water dog, probably his last trip

Rankins_66_.JPG

Hot Spring

Rankins_80_.JPG

River girl loves the dog

Rankins_109_.JPG

Putting up the 5.8 FA offwidth to monkey tree move to hand crack

Rankins_110_.JPG

More rocks

Rankins_65_.JPG

Bear that came walking along litterally while I was sitting on the groover taking a dump, seriously no shit!

Lubell_82_.JPG

todd resting the back

Lubell_87_.JPG

Multipitch potential for sure

Lubell_96_.JPG

Curry rice and fresh trout

Lubell_67_.JPG

Trout that escaped the dinner menu

Rankins_35_.JPG

Bear on the other side of camp

cannon_46_.jpg

nice beach and moon